Good idea?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 am
Yes 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Definatly Not 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Religon Forum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:36 am 
Cererean Princess

Why can't we have a forum to talk about religon on.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:59 pm 
Matrix Operator

I get the idea this is from the catfight I had with Zeromancer. :) I think it's a good idea.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what purpose a religion forum would serve and why it would need its own forum.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:37 am 
The Endless Prophet

The point of the religion forum would be to let user discuss religion issues without breaking forum rules. It'd be separate to stop the discussions of religion from overriding other forums like general and Dragon Discussions.

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:15 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Still you do not need a entire area for this. All we need is a single thread with a warning about what the topic it. The only problem is it will need to be watched a lot for flame wars and other problems. We had a thread like this at another site I go. But that is the idea, say something in the idea of "This is the religion topic thread, please keep any and all subject on this topic here." And also a warning about all posters must keep in line. And I would suggest keep it a member only thread.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:47 pm 
Matrix Operator

Yeah, and maybe we could sticky it.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

I think we can agree that a new forum is not needed because the general forum already cover everything else that isn't about dragons, RPing and the website. Moreover, a few topics about a specific subject would probably not make a very active forum.

Also, as for not following the same rules as the rest of the board, I am not sure how to interpret this. Religion is covered by Rule #8 and not following this rule would mean having discussions from the standpoint of particular group, with the specific purpose of recruiting and preaching with the use of propaganda techniques (i.e. fallacies) and having people who try to ram their agenda down the throat of other people.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for this but I really recommend to read back my explanation behind Rule #8, as this rule doesn't forbid religious discussions as long as the persons involved in such discussions are able to bring logical arguments to support their point of view. By logical arguments, I mean something that is reasonable for everyone, no matter their beliefs.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:34 am 
Cererean Princess

Well, actually it kind of does. But that could just be the way I'm interpretating it.

And the bit that says 'no recruiting' and other stuff like that, how can you have a dbate if everyone has to be on the same side or can't try and convince people.

Say I started up a thread to convince people a creator xists? Would that be against the rules? Even if I cited external referances that were *scientific*?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:21 pm 
British Redcoat

DragonRider:
Some peoples minds *will not* be changed even if scientific evidence is shoved somewhere a little more private.
For example, say a volcano is erupting near a long-standing town that's going to be devastated. Some people won't move because they just won't- it's personal choices.

Aka Respergo

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Recruiting/propaganda/preaching and discussing is two different things.

:arrow: Someone recruiting/preaching means he won't change his opinion not matter what other people say. This implies not accepting evidences that go against his position. For example: after the other board member have pointed the many logical flaws in every of his argument, Person X keeps saying that position Y is the best.

:arrow: Someone discussing means that the person has a position but is also willing to change that position if the other side bring convincing arguments against it. It also implies admitting to have a weak case (or no case at all) if too many of the person's arguments are invalidated.

As for a thread about whenever you trying to convince others that a creator exists, it depends in which category of people you stand.

Last edited by Tempest on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:52 pm 
Cererean Princess

Catagory C: I won't change my point of view if I can't win, but I won't keep at it. I'll just withdraw from the debate.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:55 pm 
G.E.E.K.

DragonRider has a good point and I am like him. If I fight for something and then realize I can't win, I back down, I might hod a grudge for a while but I don't bring it up again. Personally I think a Forum solely about religion would just wast space and time.

P.S. (this is off topic) Tempest, Could you please PM Ruben the DragonLord to get him to stop posting new threads instead of replying as well as trying to get him to use better grammar and spelling, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile