It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

See below for question.
Poll ended at Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:59 pm
Go for it. 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Maybe, if others supported it. 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
No way! Are you nuts? 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
I dont particularly care. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Opinions; ya gotta have them.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:59 pm 
Matrix Operator

I would like to propose that a new forum be created, where opinions are announced, challenged, defended, and propagated. The standard rules of Netiquette still apply, though anyone may announce and defend their position.

In it we could host debates, whether they be on old issues (creation/evolotion, atheism/theism, pro-life/pro-choice, etc.)

So waddya think?

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Although that can be done in the General section, I say "Go For It!"

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 am 
Matrix Operator

Well, see, the current rules say no attempting to recruit anyone to your beliefs. In the proposed forum, that would be the entire point.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:49 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:42 am 
Matrix Operator

Let's see if we can get Tempest to give it the okay.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Go for it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:36 am 
Cererean Princess

Great idea, go for it!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:59 am 
The king of kings

Location: in my house on the internet.....what a useless question
I dont think that its such a good idea, think about it, you will get n00bs supporting different opinions and may cause arguments , bullying , hate mail; people may bring such topics in such as Religion, War, communism and more, this will cause a great "Un-wanted" deal of fuss and yet people are saying go for it i say nothing because you have to support the view of other peoples opinions and many people will not judge them right and will cause arguments upon the board and we dont want that now do we.
Jake.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:07 am 
Matrix Operator

Not really. I guess to compensate the penalties would have to be stricter. Though I suppose you're probably right.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:02 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Jake wrote:
I don't think that its such a good idea, think about it, you will get n00bs supporting different opinions and may cause arguments , bullying , hate mail; people may bring such topics in such as Religion, War, communism and more, this will cause a great "Un-wanted" deal of fuss and yet people are saying go for it i say nothing because you have to support the view of other peoples opinions and many people will not judge them right and will cause arguments upon the board and we don't want that now do we.
Jake.

I vastly over looked that. I saw it as harmless debate but now I see it as a potential crisis. My vote for the time being is still "Go For It". However if the idea is denied, I would understand why.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:09 pm 
The king of kings

I would like to see a forum where you can "feel free" but people debating may cause arguments,racism,bullying etc. this is a potential risk.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:19 am 
Cererean Princess

That's the point of debating. It is an argument. Remember 'mysterius origins of Man'?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 pm 
Matrix Operator

"A good comprmise leaves everybody angry."
Ajihad, Eragon

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 pm 
The king of kings

At the end of the day we have a general disscussions board, this is here for a reason to chat, debate and have fun.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

The thread called "Message Board Guidelines" in the general forum apply to the whole message board so any new forum would technically be subjected to the same rules; specific guidelines applying only to a particular section are labeled as either "Forum Guidelines" (specific forum) or "Section Guidelines" (specific forums group).

Also, note that the general guidelines have been carefully worded and since this topic deal with Rule #8, let me explain a bit more in detail the purpose of this rule:

Rule #8: No propaganda or preaching on the board wrote:
This board is a place for discussion as individuals, not a platform for recruiting, propaganda and preaching <sup>[1]</sup>. I don't care what religion you believe into, you leave it at the door when using these forums <sup>[2]</sup>. You'll find me pretty intolerant to anyone who expects to be able to use this place to ram their agenda down other people's throats <sup>[3]</sup>.

<sup>[1]</sup>: Topics here should be discussed from an individual point of view. Someone who bases his/her argument on the viewpoint of someone else isn't really debating with other forum members; this person merely cuts and pastes information. This makes the debate pointless as the person often follow a script and move from one point to another without really listening to what other people have to say. Not to mention that debunking, voicing an opinion or adding precisions or small corrections in this kind of debate is time consuming for everyone and is not very rewarding for the reasons mentioned above. However, it is reasonable (and strongly encouraged) to support a point of view with external references, citation from experts in the domain, relevant real life examples and/or using fictional situations. However, the logic behind debate must come from the persons posting on this board.

As for the "recruiting, propaganda and preaching" part, experience tell me that someone matching the description of any of those words is, more often than not, unlikely to listen or even care about what other people are saying since such person is not here to have a discussion; s/he is here to rally people to his/her cause. Since you can't discuss with them, they can't use this board for their propaganda.

<sup>[2]</sup>: This sentence cannot be clearer. There are countless religions around the globe that often directly contradict each other. Since it is not possible to prove that this or that religion is right and every others are wrong or that any religion is right at all, then there is no reason to even mention such affiliation on this board. Discussions are made from a point of view as neutral as possible; meaning that if someone think something should be that way, the argument s/he brings to support his/her claims must be acceptable by anyone (you leave your beliefs at the door). Ex: saying that scientists shouldn't play god by tampering with the genetic code of humans because humans have been created to god image and as such DNA (sequences) is (somehow) sacred, will not only be frowned upon but also be considered as a display of poor debate skills. On the other hand, saying that scientists shouldn't modify the genetic code because of many long term uncertainties, potential cross-generation effects and probable social problems resulting from the "Have" and "Have Not" is a valid argument no matter what the beliefs of the persons involved in the discussion.

<sup>[3]</sup>: This sentence deal with what kind of leniency is to be expected over this rule...

In other words, there is nothing in the guidelines that prevent you from having such kind of debates here if everyone brings valid and reasonable arguments and if the discussion remains civil and respectful.

However, as it was already mentioned in this thread, potentially inflammatory issues can easily degenerate and contrary to popular belief, gun debate, abortion or 'evolution vs creationism' usually do not result in a 'good discussion', but simply a heated argument until people realize that the other side is clearly not listening to them.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:43 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I still say "go for it" because I think people have a lot to say, they just don't know where or when to say it. There would have to be specific rules as to what topics are banned (because the argument just goes circular).

Now and then I announce "I know you're listening" to empty rooms. If I'm wrong, no one knows. And if I'm right, maybe i just freaked the hell out of some secret organization. It's basically Paschal's wager for the paranoid prankster.

~~ http://www.xkcd.com ~~

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:52 pm 
Matrix Operator

I'll side with tempest, actually. The likelyhood of such a Forum degenerating into a catfight area is too high.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 pm 
Silver sorceress

Location: on the back of a black dragon laughing as the world dies below me
i would say go for it, but it would be hard to keep those who want to push racial and religious beliefs from offending others. if it was a forum to debate dragon issues (which would kinda make it part of the dragon disscussion board) then it would be easier, but that could also escalade into harsh comments if someone has a stubborn head and tempered fingers.

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18 am 
Matrix Operator

*holds head* so many opinions!
I don't know, Jake and Tempest raised several important points. It may be a good idea, it may not. Tempest? What's the final verdict?

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:12 pm 
British Redcoat

I vote nay'. Enough drama in the boards we have at times :wink:

Aka Respergo

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:24 pm 
Legendary Warrior

So far Falconer, the verdict looks to be nay. Twas a good idea but unfortunately the potential for a "war of words" is too great.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:46 pm 
Sword Master

Location: In my room talking to random people i really dont know but talk too anyay!!
Yea i would say no...Opinions lead into arguments You always get different opinions and this can lead to drama and flaming

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:19 pm 
Silver sorceress

Location: on the back of a black dragon laughing as the world dies below me
and life is dramatic enough without one more place on the internet flaming with criticisms, i come here to get out of that type of stuff....very peacefull here.

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Falconer wrote:
What's the final verdict?

That's the million-dollar question: make two debates on exactly the same subject and one may result in a flamewar, the other in a philosophical debate that would make Plato nods in approval.

Obviously the later is welcome here, even on controversial subjects (well, let just say "on most subjects") and the former is not. It's all about on how the debate is done (in doubt, it's preferable to stay on the safe side and not bring such debates here).

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:04 pm 
The king of kings

Tempest wrote:
Falconer wrote:
What's the final verdict?

That's the million-dollar question: make two debates on exactly the same subject and one may result in a flamewar, the other in a philosophical debate that would make Plato nods in approval.

Obviously the later is welcome here, even on controversial subjects (well, let just say "on most subjects") and the former is not. It's all about on how the debate is done (in doubt, it's preferable to stay on the safe side and not bring such debates here).

Yeah I agree cant be having flamewars!

Offline Profile