Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: do we have moderators?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:07 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

just a question, do we have actual moderators or people who think they are moderators working here, just wanted to know.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:40 am 
Master Old Dragon

A bit o both. Since we aren't really that big of a board that requires offical moderators, we don't really have them, or need them. Serenity is doing it right now mostly because Tempest has asked her to do it. She doesn't just think she is one, she knows she is one, just with out the powers or title.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:47 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Lol, more like Elise and I volunteered to help out, and generally know how to deal with most of the issues that present themselves here. You have to understand, Fyre, there are people here who have been doing this kind of stuff for ages, whether or not they were moderators.

For example, Scott isn't going to just sit there while some n00b runs havoc on the threads he participates in. He’s just not like that. So if you see him duking it out with some poor n00b, you should understand that it’s just in his nature. And Alorith here is just abnormally helpful. I really think he enjoys giving obscure answers to try and solve problems. ;-) Elise and I... Well, one of the reasons I was voted on as a moderator back when was because I’d always been the “moderatorâ€￾ in arguments or issues. People recognized that, and accepted it.

There was a time when we didn’t have moderators, mostly because we didn’t need them. We took care of <i>our</i> problems <i>by ourselves</i>, a sort of “self-moderationâ€￾, if you please. When we voted for Moderators, it was because the board was in the need for some serious reconstruction. The forums were rebuilt and reorganized, more rules were written and set up, and there was going to be some general confusion without moderators.

But now…Things really aren’t that big or busy here, so we don’t need them. If there is something one of us can’t handle here, we can always take it to Tempest. We don’t need moderators. There’s not much for them to do but sit and look pretty, maybe answer a few n00b questions. And, hey, I’m sure it’s something the rest of us can handle.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:36 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Sometimes it is better to have "people who think they are moderators " confronting n00bs and solving problems, because it doesn't alienate people. Anyway, who cares?

ALL HAIL SCROWL!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:11 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Yes, really. Was there a problem you thought hadn't been addressed, Fyre?

And the smell of a world that has been burned...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:56 am 
Master Old Dragon

Ah the days we thought we needed a mod. I remember that. Didn't it come about because of something I posted? All I could think about a month after that event whether or not I had written 'scared' or scarred'.

Abnormal? come now, I try my hardest to help out and I get rewarded with abnormal? So my information is foggy at best. I'm a male, I should be asking for directions not giving them . . . but I try anyway.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:07 pm 
British Redcoat

i reckon Serenity and Elysia (i think i spelt right) are doing excellent as 'mods'. it seems (in my opinion) that 'less is more'.
for example, Furtopia has loads of mods who do nothing, and this forum has a few who do an excellent job keeping newbies and others in line
*coughes guiltily* :D

Aka Respergo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Thank you for the compliment, + Silver - Orbs +! It really makes my day. :D

And, for being new, she really does have and excellent point there with "Less is More".

And yes, Alorith, it's all your fault! lol

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:27 pm 
Master Old Dragon

See, not all newbies are usless like you said.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:28 pm 
Master Old Dragon

LOL! Newbies arn't useless... We only spread that rumor to cover up our newbie smuggling industry! They rate very high when used for sacrificial.. I mean, they bring us fresh meat... errrr...talent...

This post is off subject! I will not condone spamming! ;-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:54 am 
Master Old Dragon

Don't lie, liey mclair face. Of course you will. The power of iron pants compels you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:35 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i thought it was Fatty McLardPants. oh well... maybe not. haha.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:45 pm 
The Forestmaster

How do you become a moderator, because I sure would like to become one!! :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:01 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Were you not reading Aspaheir? There are no Moderators on this new forum.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:33 am 
Master Old Dragon

To ecome a mod, you must bribe the right people. ALOT. Right now, you're allready $6,283 . . . no $6,383 behind the largest doner. I'll let you figure out who that is. and it's not me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:35 am 
Master Old Dragon

*Is holding a credit card with Alorith's name on it...*

Yes.... let's see... withdrawl... $100.00

*Takes the cash, puts it in an unmarked envelope and heads for the secret "Donation Box"... As she's creeping up, she runs into Alorith, holding an unmarked envelope and her credit card.*

HEY! That is <i>my</i> credit card!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:08 am 
Master Old Dragon

*Grins*

Yep, you should watch were you throw out your junk mail. And your S.S. And your mother’s maiden name. And so on. Oh, and I used the same information on my credit card, so your the one who is really getting charged.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Okay seriously, I will answer the questions about moderators (this will also answer the questions I have received in my mailbox)

<FONT COLOR="#FF00FF"><I>Q:</I></FONT><FONT COLOR="#00FFCC">What is a Site Admin, a Moderator and who actually run the board?</font>
<FONT COLOR="#66FFFF"><I>A:</I></FONT>The Administrators are people assigned the highest level of control over the entire board. These people can control all facets of board operation which include setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc. They also have full moderator capabilities in all the forums.

Moderators are individuals whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. The Moderators are volunteers. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally Moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material. Since they are usually more involved into the forum they are assigned to, they can exercise a closer supervision than the Administrators and thus they can solve problems before they get out of hand. Moderators also help the Administrators in situations that usually cannot be envisioned and when the board gets a major overhaul.

In addition, the board also welcomes Unofficial Volunteer Moderators who steers, writes, guides or moderates a specific discussion or thread.

At this moment, there are:
- Two Site Admin (me and Kayla) and a user called Admin that we can both use to do general announcements or when requiring another Site Admin to test functionality
- No Moderator
- A few Unofficial Volunteer Moderators

<FONT COLOR="#FF00FF"><I>Q:</I></FONT><FONT COLOR="#00FFCC"> Who can become moderator?</font>
<FONT COLOR="#66FFFF"><I>A:</I></FONT> Any person interested in sharing his/her spare time to assist people. But more specifically this person must:
- Be someone that the Site Admin can trust
- Be able to know how to use the tools at his/her disposal and when to use diplomacy
- Be involved in the forum s/he moderates

<FONT COLOR="#FF00FF"><I>Q:</I></FONT><FONT COLOR="#00FFCC"> How can I become a moderator?</font>
<FONT COLOR="#66FFFF"><I>A:</I></FONT> On some boards, Moderators are chosen by the Administrators while other boards have elections. If there is a need for moderators, I will explain in detail how they will be chosen, but expect to have a significant voice in the process.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:15 am 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

*arrives unfashionably late*

Well thanks Tempy, that about settles it.

So everyone who's been bothering Tempest, leave him be! LOL. The board is doing well without mods I think and if anyone really needs one, there are plenty of people to ask. You guys know the difference between right and wrong...or you should if you all want to be mods so badly.

And I'm always available if anyone needs to talk. (now I sound like a high school counselor...lol) So is Serenity and a bunch of others.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 am 
Tightwad

like ME!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:49 am 
British Redcoat

people cna talk to me but i can get grouchy if caught at the wrong time..and many of my posts are merely humourus...like this one! *meeps n' pouncehugs*

Aka Respergo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:23 pm 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

Silver Orbs, your comment above is a perfect example of what we like to call spam. It has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread and is unnecessary as a whole. Please refrain from doing it in the future or you will be banned.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:40 am 
British Redcoat

i didn't think it was spamming. well, the first bit wasn't anyway :D
sorry Elise

Aka Respergo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:17 pm 
Master Old Dragon

<center><b>Silver Orbs</b></center>

All of the forementioned post was off topic. Please go check your inbox regarding your posts here. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Since the original question has been answered, this topic is closed.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]