Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Not quite.

The forum would be for the bios only, and the threads for rp recruiting would be confined to OOC, where they belong. It's not so hard to copy and paste, really.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:49 am 
The Endless Prophet

I thought the trouble in the first place was that the OOC forums are... ...cluttered. Am I wrong?

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:57 am 
Master Old Dragon

My entire idea is about separeting the bios from the rps, putting them in a neatly arranged forum to prevent clutter as well as spam.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:15 am 
The Endless Prophet

Then I guess I stand corrected.

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:33 am 
Site Admin

I was not sure on how this forum would interact with the other forum of the PbP section so instead weighting what would be better in theoretical situations, I looked at some of the boards you provided that were using this system and I simply tried to follow the train of thought of a few ooc threads. Here’re my impressions:

It was often difficult to have all the information about a character as sometimes, someone would post only the character name and I had to hunt for the description in the other forum. Some other times, only a short-to-average length description was given and I had to guess if there would be more in the other forum (often, it did). However, my efforts were not always rewarded. Sometimes, there was no thread at all in the Bios forum to provide a more detailed description about a character in the ooc forum that was short in details. Sometimes, I would found the same short description in both Bios and ooc. Some other times, the person simply ignored the Bios forum and posted what was obviously a complete description in the ooc thread.

With this in mind, there is at least one conclusion that I can be sure of, the ooc threads should always contain the complete character description as it is easier (especially for a newbie) to scroll down a long post than looking around for information that may not even exist in another forum. I don’t blame anyone, someone could just update their characters in the Bios forum and forgot to do the same in the ooc thread (and vice versa). Add to this the people who do not want or who do not see a need to maintain a thread in the Bios forum and the board ends up with an additional layer disorganizing what you try to make more efficient.

Setting this aside, would it be a good idea to have a Bios forum? Perhaps. However, it would depend greatly on how many persons would use it and I do not think the time is ripe for such thing. I explain, there no more than a dozen of active users in the RP section of the board and not everyone would maintain a thread about their characters in a newly created forum. A forum that would contain less than a dozen threads would feel quite empty and raise questions if there was not another solution to implement or at least test this idea. For example, people could use of the tag "CHARS:" or "CHARACTERS: <user name>" and post their threads amongst the others in the OOC forum. The tag would make the threads easy to identify and it could serve it purpose of allowing people to add details to a character no matter where they are (I remember when I carried a paper version of Shyska or Hasaï around so I could work on themduring my free time at college/university). So in that regard, it can certainly be useful.

Later, if this idea become popular to the point of needing it own forum, one can be created and the topics moved there.

Offline Profile