Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Post subject: Silvae Vitae
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:50 am 
Tightwad

The sun rose gently over the walls of the High City, sending spears of light to illuminate the dark corners of the wondrous town. Chalgrish looked out to the sun, and marveled in the gentle glow of the sunrise.
He noted that he had yet to round up the others, and so went into the shops to proffer some provisions.
He groaned when he saw the tax-collector, who had a talent for flaunting his power for every cent the people were worth.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:45 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Damascus also saw the reviled figure as he walked by the shop and couldn't help but wrinkle his nose in dislike and mistrust. Such men had the ability to turn the world upside down for the most well-meaning of people. And speak fo the devil, he was in the process of it at that moment. The ranger watched warily as the tax-collector began hassling an old woman on her front doorstep for "backed taxes" and began demanding them, to which, of course, the woman refused. With a sneer, the collector made a comment barely audible to any but himself and the woman, nodding towards her grandchildren. Through all this, Damascus had been making his wa through the crow towards the provisions shop. As he passed by the tax collector he made it a point to allow his bow to "slip", knocking the official in the legs and effectively taking him to the ground.

"HEY!" the disgruntled collector yelled after him as he picked himself up.

Damascus turned, a small smile on his face, though under the hood of his cloak it was invisible to the now-muddied wretch. He watched as the old woman took this opportunity to reenter her house with the children, locking the door soundly behind her. "I think perhaps you should take that as a sign and quit while you're ahead. You've already lost your business."

The collector turned and found the woman gone and growled in anger, pulling a laugh from Damascus as the hood to his cloak was brought down revealing his smooth elegeant features, long blonde hair and pointed ears. His blue, almond-shaped eyes, which had been the only visible part of his face until now, glittered all the more with amusement at the situation as he replaced his bow on his back. "Some other day, perhaps, we can settle this. In the meantime, I have business far more important than yourself." And with a small grin, he headed into the shop to get what small things he still needed, satisfied with himself for the moment.

They're quite aware of what they're going through"
--- David Bowie

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:32 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

The railings of the fountain we warm when Tarin hung up her cloak. She placed her soap box in front of them and stepped up. She took a moment to thank the lord for the beauty of the day and asked that she be able to pass the message of Shardel on to some one new.

Upon opening her eyes Tarin saw the busy bustle of the main square of the High City. The merchants went about their morning errands and the women were out buying the bread and eggs. Above the cacophony she had faith her voice would be heard by someone.

Tarin: My good people of High City, I have important news for you…the Order of the Woodland has for centuries protected the Great Forests in the East under the instruction of the teachings set down by our founder Shardel. It was he who banished the great plague of Damakus and it was he who vanquished the mighty Brind. He showed us that one person has the strength within to overcome any difficulty if they have faith. So I ask you, do you have faith?

A small crowd of people, typically the older - retired kind, had gathered around. She wasn’t sure if they were listening but she continued anyway.

Tarin: We, the Order of the Woodland, can give you faith. The times are dark, come to the light and see what Shardel can give to you!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Damascus heard the voice from inside the shop and chanced a glance out the window, his ears perked and his attention fixed momentarily on the priestess. Her words did little to stir him- travelling as much as he had, faith was something that he had found was a very personal thing- but her confidence intrigued him. It wasn't often that he had seen anyone actually give a sermon in the square. In fact, the last person to do so had been his half-sister, and that had been more of an angry reproach to the people of their city than a call for faith. Judging from the response Tarin was beginning to get, however, it was obvious that she must have known somewhat what she was talking about. And in actuality, Damascus knew that she did. After all, this WAS Tarin. A small grin came to his face as he watched her. She was so amusing at times.

"Damascus?" the shop-keeper questioned, holding out the ranger's change to him, an inquiring expression crossing is features.

The sound of his name brought Damascus out of his trance and he snapped his attention back to the old man. "Sorry, Smitty," he said, taking the small pouch being offered him. "I must have spaced out."

The old man laughed. "Spaced out nothing, youthful Master. You know I know you better than that. There's something about Miss Tarin that you-"

Damascus flashed him a grin as he picked up his pack to leave the shop as he interrupted the old man. "Aye, you do. But you don't know ALL that goes on in this head. And alas, I haven't time to share it with you. I have places to be and people to meet." With that, the elf left the shop and stepped out into the street, watching the girl with growing interest as he meandered through the crowd. For years he had watched the Order become more and more prevalent in the lands, and at first he had hated it. But as he had wandered and talked with more of the priests, he had come to understand them a little better. Meeting Tarin had only served to improve that- a little. Although in truth, it was the priestess herself that the ranger found his interest in, more so than her doctrines and principles. The same could be said of any of the group, in fact. Though he had spent YEARS wandering alone, in the short time that he had known this small group he involved himself in, he found that he had become attached to them, and that in itself was saying something.

Thinking of the other members, he chanced a glance around, looking for Chalgrish. "Where in the name of the Powers HAS he gotten to?" he wondered aloud as he gazed around the crowd for the figure in question. He was careful, however to keep one eye on Tarin, just in case something should happen. Like in the last town... Damascus shuddered to think of that crowd, pitchforks and all. Just to be sure, though, he mad his way closer to the front and stood a couple of rows back from the priestess. You keep up with those gestures and people are going to begin to wonder if you're preaching or giving a shadow puppet show. he mind-linked to the girl, chuckling a bit. When you've finished, however, we DO need to go meet Chalgrish.

--- David Bowie

Last edited by Dragyness on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:04 pm 
Tightwad

OOC: note that everyone I've cleared so far all know each other, and are each doing their own seperate things.

Chalgrish had drifted out of the shop, drawn by Tarin's voice and her wildly eloquent gestures. He waited until their eyes met, then jerked his head in the direction of the city's wrought iron gates. He then strolled toward the massive walls, the edifices arougn him towering to massive heights, some old and some new. As he reached the gates, he waited off to one side to wait for the others.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:35 pm 

Tarin finished her speech and nodded towards Chalgrish, she spoke to the crowd once more.

Tarin: if you want to know more, brother Bod will be happy to help you. You see him there in the tent. Enter and seek Shardel!

She stepped down from the soap box, took her cloak off the railing and put her satchel over her shoulder. She meekly pushed her way through the crowd and towards the gate..she joined Chalgrish.

Tarin: you know I thought we had a little more time than this…I feel like poor old Brother Bod will struggle with that crowd on his own.

She glanced back to see Bod overwhelmed with questions…it seemed that people were indeed looking for faith, faith in someone to end this shadow…little did they know that Tarin was one of those selected to find a way to stop it.

Tarin: It’s great to see such a good response huh?!

She smiled but her smile wasn’t returned…

Tarin: look people need faith especially at a time like this…

Chalgrish’s mouth widened into a smile.

Tarin: why is it I can never tell if you are serious or not…?

She laughed.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:47 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

"Because he's quite the enigma like that," Damascus laughed as he came into view. "Unlike the rest of us who let you know EXACTLY what's on our minds." The elven ranger was amazed at how comfortable he suddenly felt when in their presence. It was a strange feeling, but a nice one to be sure. After all, who wouldn't like to have someone to talk to now and again? With a grin, Damascus took a seat on a crate as they awaited the arrival of the others and pulled out his knife, cutting off pieces of an apple he had bought from Smitty. "And if anyone can do anything about this, Tarin, it will be us, you can be sure." He reached into his bag and offered both her and Chalgrish a piece of fruit. "Am I right, Chalgrish?" he asked with a smile. The sense of adventure was dawning on him as the time of departure drew closer.

--- David Bowie

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:53 pm 
Tightwad

Chalgrish grinned and hurled his slice of apple high into the air, watching it as it arched. As the fruit reached its zenith, he maneuvered until the fruit plopped down into his mouth. He began laughing, as he chewed the slice and swallowed it.
" Ok, enough of these shenanigans. Let's go find Magi, Mia, and our other friend." Chalgrish murmured, staying out of earshot of the guards. "Damascus, try and find Magi, Tarin, find Mia and stay out of trouble. I'll find our final associate."

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:43 am 

Tarin didn’t like the implication that she would get into trouble, the problem was, however, that it was likely. She put her hood up and walked off into the market square to find Mia. On her way she stopped off at Smitty’s shop and bought some bread and cheese, as well as a new leather flask to replace the one she gave to a homeless person. Ever the giver, Tarin had few possessions bar her satchel and that she guarded like a bee guards its nest.

Tarin: Smitty, you seen Mia?

Smitty: she’s down by the mill pond I think.

Tarin: but that’s across the city! She’s going to be late.

Smitty: what for?

Tarin: Oh, um…nothing. I’ve got to go.

With that she left but she was unaware that her conversation had been over heard.

She crossed the square and took a shortcut down an alley. The dank smell of moss hung in the air and she trod carefully so not to slip up. Halfway along the alley, she rounded a corner and came was accosted.

?: A bit dangerous for a monk to be walking down here isn’t it?

Train: please, let me through.

?: I don’t think so.

The glint of metal in the sun, from a concealed dagger made Tarin stop.

? You’re not going anywhere.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:36 am 
Youthful Werewolf

Mia was head down the street afraid of what chalgrish would think of her tardyness. She passed and alley and her sensitive ears picked up the sould of a dagger being drawn. She stoped and started sneakibg down the alley. As she peeked her head around the corner she saw Tarin in alittle bit of trouble. She turned full on into the allyway and drew her Katana." If you dont want to be killed i suggest you put the knife down and step away from the monk." She said queitly. What her eyes pickup was defferent from what her ears understood. She turned just in time to sink her bladeinto the flesh of another theif that was about to grab her." Im not that easy to fool." she said to her self as she pulled her blade free from the theives flesh. she then turned to the theif still holding Tarin.

"So what are you gonna do? Will you comply and get away safely or die at my hands you decide." The theif stode there." Ya know i could run you through right now if i wanted to i wouldnt break a sweat." She said." So what shall you do?" She asked with a small grin on her face.

CLICKME!

Last edited by Mia on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:07 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

OOC: Uh... Mia, it wasn't Damascus that was being attacked. That was Tarin, Fyre's character... Sorry to put an OOC post here, but I didn't know if anyone would be checking the OOC forum. Won't happen again though.

--- David Bowie

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:31 pm 
Youthful Werewolf

ooc-woops sorry, ill edit it up fast

CLICKME!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:50 pm 
Tightwad

ooc: use in-game oocs sparsely

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:59 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

A whistle and swish answered her question as the bandit slumped to the ground behind Tarin, an arrow deeply lodged at the base of his neck. The girls looked to see Damascus calmly replacing his bow on his back, a surprsingly serious expression gracing his fair features. His long blond hair fell into his face as he made his way over to inspect the body- not that it wasn't obvious that the man was dead. With the smallest of smile he pulled hte arrow from the attacker's neck. "Finally got that close-range shot down," he said, grinning a bit as he turned to Tarin. "The trouble that you manage to find, priestess. I swear, we might as well hire you a body-guard!" A light chuckle escaped him as he tunred and disappeared back down the alley, continuing on his way to find Magi. It was eery how he could almost make himself invisible like that... Probably all those years of being a ranger...

--- David Bowie

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:49 pm 

Tarin: Thanks Mia, and you to D!!

She gathered up her robes and smirked and looked sheepishly at Mia.

Tarin: shall we go to the meeting point then?

The two walked out of the alley and into the square. Bod was slowly making his way through the crowd of people that had gathered and Tarin smiled at the sight of it.

Tarin: he’s really in his element there, you know. As old as he is, he loves the preaching. Hey Mia, do you need to buy supplies?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:12 pm 
Tightwad

ooc: Talus, come on!

As Chalgrish went to look for Shivan, he noted that the city was populated by more and more beggars and strays since the king's health failed. He sighed and looked around, trying to spot the half-elf's slightly curving ears.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:52 am 
King of Dragons

Ooc: Sorry Chalgrish,I can't get on the Internet on the weekend on vacations, and I'm trying my best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shivan walked calmly out from behind the building and stepped over the man's body. He straightened the clasp keeping his brown cloak on as he walked past Damascus. He looked him and said "I see your aim has been improving, it would seem I finally have some competition." He smiled jokingly at him. Shivan looked at Tarin as she walked by and gave her an acknowledging nod. "Lady monk, it is good to see you alive and well, shaken but not stirred, hmmm?" He nodded and greeted Mia the same. He stopped when he reached a few feet in front of Chalgrish. "I'm sorry I'm late, sir, but there was a problem at the Guild I had to....take care of."

If you would like a new avatar or sig pic, pm me and ask. ^^

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:17 pm 

Tarin: I trust it was nothing too serious.

Tarin was genuinely concerned for her friend, they shared a common bond, both grew up in the forest. But unlike Shivan, Tarin had the support of the Order. Tarin turned to Chalgrish.

Tarin: are we going to get moving now that we are all here? Only the sooner we sort this out the better don’t you think?

Tarin grabbed her pendant around her neck and made a quick silent prayer for the cities safety in their absence. Not that they were the guardians but she would hate to see her new found home worse off when they returned.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:15 am 
Master Spellcaster

Negi walked into the allyway."well aint this the strangest little reunion ive ever seen....and why exacty are you meeting in an ally? Heh seems like a strange place to meet to me....Ive been waiting for you guys in the pub down the street i thought we were gonna meet there..." he said looking quizically around at every one.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:51 am 
King of Dragons

Ooc: Chalgrish and Fyre, I'm sorry for this Ooc but this has to be said. Isaac, get the HELL OFF THIS THREAD! I already warned you once, and this is your last chance...I will tell Chalgrish the little secret.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:34 am 
Tightwad

ooc: Isaac's been cleared to join, and I know the secret.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:26 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

"You couldn't pay me to set foot in that place," Damascus laughed as he leaned against a wall behind Tarin, his arms crossed over his chest. In truth, the elf didn't mind the place, but he was picky about where he got his drink. The pub down the street wasn't one of his favorite spots, though he silently admitted that he probably should have made it a point to check there for Negi, regardless of any reservations he might have had about the place. A mental shrug and Damascus spoke up again. "In any case, we should probably put some behind us before too long, eh?" he asked, toying with a small knife.

--- David Bowie

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:20 pm 
Tightwad

Chalgrish eyed Damascus's knife, digging the toe of his shoe into the dry ground. With a sigh, he lowered his head and reached into his satchel.
"It's unlikely, but possible that we may lose each other. I know little of where we're going to travel, but I do know this; Trust noone. not even each other. Your allies may be your greatest assistance and your greatest hindrance, but give your allegiance to none but yourself. Now lets go. And Damascus? put down that knife." With that final note, he jerked his foot out of the dirt, sending a clod of earth flying toward Damascus's dagger, toppling it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:27 pm 
King of Dragons

An arrow of green magic materiliazed out of nowhere and flew whistling into the wall near Shivan's head. Shivan glanced lazily at the arrow as if nothing happened and plucked a note from it. The small piece of parchment had thin scribbles that didn't look intelligble, but Shivan seemed able to read it. He quickly balled up the parchment and placed it inside his cloak. "Chalgrish, I regret this, but I have something to take care of at the Guild, the only thing I can say is that Kabessa has resurfaced. Good day." Shivan, without a backward glance, bounded over and scaled the wall, his cloak flicking out of sight like a rabbit's tail.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:52 pm 
Youthful Werewolf

OOC-My god why hasnt anyone posted on here in a long time....oh well

IC-Mia looked with a curious eye towards chalgrish"SO when are we gonna get going?"She said with a lazy flick of the wrist just noticing that she still had her sword out.

CLICKME!

Offline Profile