Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Post subject: A Titanic Trek
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:40 pm 
Cererean Princess

The flyers are damaged beyond repair. The communications are out. The main reactor is offline, and probably will be for good. There aren't anywhere near enough vehicles to evacuate the entire habitat. The fab lab has been thoroughly destroyed.

Which is why we're giving you some of our remaining vehicles, in the hope that you can get help. Are you up for the challenge of crossing 1000 miles of ice as hard as rock, criss-crossed by cryogenic channels, in temperatures that are low enough to flash freeze anyone foolish enough to go outside without an environment suit?

Okay, so that's the premise of this RP. We're a small team that's been sent out from a habitat on Titan that's in trouble, to find help. Helping us do this will be a couple of wind powered vehicles (Titan has air that is 4.5x as dense) and whatever equipment the characters possess. The year is 2080, so that equipment could be quite advanced... if it weren't for the EMP in the habitat, which would have taken it all out if it wasn't for trusty old vacuum tube back ups.

As far as characters go, they must conform to the base humanoid type, so no tails or wings. However, horns, cat eyes, pointy ears, and other such minor modifications are acceptable, including size - there's no theoretical reason that one couldn't become a giant, but brain case restrictions preclude going too small - as are enhancements such as being able to hold ones breath for half an hour. If in doubt, ask. The age can range up to ~160 - people are immortal, but there weren't that many super centenarians when that was achieved.

I'll post my character soon. But here's the character bio form:

Name:
Enhancements:
Height:
Equipment:
Skills:

I look forward to roleplaying again.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A Titanic Trek
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:11 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Here's my character sheet, if you see any problems that would affect the flow of the game or get my character killed, tell me. This is my first time RPing, so stuff like "y u make stupid character" is discouraged.

Name: Mark T. Redd

Brief description: basically me in 67 years based on my interests and those online tests I took: mechanic (before cars went obsolete), electrician, computer and game system technician, etc; and after 70 or 80 years I got bored of earth and got a ride to a settlement on Titan as a life support system engineer.

Enhancements: dark/low light and distance vision, resistance to heat and chemical burns

Height: average

Equipment: pocketknife, handyman tool, screwdriver, sunglasses (used to be the smart kind before the EMP), duck tape, BIC lighter, pen, credit card

Skills: fixing almost anything, thinking of stuff nobody else would, remembering almost everything, ranged weapons

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 am 
Cererean Princess

The character should be acceptable, but a couple of things:

1. An average height is somewhat meaningless in a world where people range from 1m to 5m tall.
2. What do you mean by "resistance to heat and chemical burns"? Unless he has skin which oozes protective slime, I can't imagine him being able to handle splashes of hydrochloric acid that well - and heat will char anything if it's hot enough.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:28 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

@dragonrider:
1) average for now-times, and a related note: he doesn't LOOK 80, more like late 20's. It's the future, so yay for age mods!
2) I meant MILD heat and chem burns, like really tough skin. People like mechanics and electricians, their skin gets really tough to where you can hold a candle or something on their hand and it won't do anything.

Looking back, I made a lot of mistakes last night, made worse by my cat who has perfected the art of keyboard-walking.

PS: do we need weapons or is this just to go for help?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm 
Cererean Princess

This is to go for help... trekking across the badlands of a frozen planet. So yes, weapons will come in useful.

As for the character, that should be fine then. I wasn't expecting him to look 80 by the way - as stating that the maximum age is 160 should make clear :lol: And that's just because they haven't been immortal long enough for many people to be older than that.

On a related note, that means that the apparent age of the character can be almost anything, from pre-teen to pensioner, but the character themselves would probably be in their 30s and 40s, if not 90s and 100s, because they'd send the most experienced out.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Okay, for weapons, since it's the future I think these Halo weapons would do quite nicely:
Primary: scattershot
Secondary: needler (dual-wield)

Or if the EMP trashed those or they weren't invented:
Primary: police issue shotgun pistol
Secondary: .357 magnum (semiautomatic)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:24 pm 
Cererean Princess

Hmmm, I'll have to think about that.

Any more takers for the first RP here in a while?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 pm 
Cererean Princess

By the way, it takes ~10,000 hours to master a skill. That means, at 5 hours a week to practice it, it would take you 40 years to master a single skill. Another way of looking at that is, given 40 years and 40 free hours each week dedicated to improving yourself, you could master 8 skills. Which means you *could* be a multilingual martial arts master who spends a dozen hours each week helping down at the local hospital as a very good surgeon, then flying yourself into a disaster area in your hypersonic ramjet plane to help them there...

Ahem. Aside from giving some ideas about how capable people could be in a post-scarcity, post-mortality world, here's my character.

Name: John Wuir
Brief description: John Wuir is dark haired, and like most Titanians, dark eyed due to the size of his pupil. Like many people, it's hard to distinguish a specific ancestry from his features, but if they had to guess, most people would say he was from somewhere in North America. Not that they would be able to see his features from the outside of his environment suit.
Enhancements: resistance to most common toxins, titanium/bio skeleton (on account of an unfortunate accident which saw much of his body destroyed beyond repair), ability to store significant oxygen reserves in his muscles allowing for half an hour without breathing
Height: 1.9m
Equipment: John is a firm believer in the ancient art of Poking Things With Pointy Sticks, and to that purpose carries with him an extendible rapier, rendered all the more deadly by the inclusion of diamond into it's manufacture. Noting, however, that it's often easier to take opponents down at range, he's invested in a light pistol, as well as small - but very explosive - rocket propelled grenades. Of course, when dealing out damage to enemies it is common to receive a few oneself, and to that end he has invested in a very modern first aid kit, as well as a field surgery kit for rapidly fixing minor issues such as organ damage.
Skills: Over his 56 years, he's picked up many skills, such as how to effectively use the equipment he carries. He's also practised in dispatching enemies by hand. Like many people, he knows the basics of how most technology operates, and can fix nearly everything he owns.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:05 pm 
Cererean Princess

Anyone else interested?

Offline Profile