Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

Post subject: OOC: Time Out
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:59 am 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Okay, I believe it is time we put some new life in this board, or tried to at any rate. So I present you with this idea.

Long ago the non-magical man and the magical races lived in seperate planes of being. One day long ago a tear between these two planes opened up and the two were forced to once again become one. Man though fears what it does not understand and so war seemed imminent. Man had technology at their disposal that put them on equal footing with the magical races' spells and enchantments. Both sides readied themselves not believing that the peace talks that had started to succeed, but succeed they did. This now is ancient history and with time magic outlawed to all but those who are watched by the grand being of magic in his tower it shall stay that way.
However, their is one man who does not wish for history to stay as it is, believing he would have more power if war broke out all those yeas ago and is willing to break the law to gain that power. The grand master of magic knows this and so has put out a call for great and powerful warriors to come to his tower to be sent back to fix what the man shall break.
You are those heroes, will you answer the call?

Character sheet example
Name: Andrew Gacim
Race: He looks human but no one truly knows
Class: Mage
Age: Looks to be late twenties but some claim he was born before magic
Appearance: Brown hair that goes down his back and a scruffy beard. His eyes betray just how old he really is, they crackle with energy despite this. He is thin and appears to be brittle. He needs a walking stick to stand yet moves quite quickly when he is. He wears brown moldy robes that might have once been white.

Clarifications:
Humans can now use magic
Combining technology and Magic is fine
Any questions?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: OOC: Time Out
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:12 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Sure I'm interested. You mentioned magical races... is this whatever we feel like or a specific set of mythical races like elves, dwarves, gnomes, and the like?
Also I noticed a class specification, what types of classes are you thinking of? Basic mage warrior and rogue deal or are we free to branch out?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:44 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
For races, try to keep it to things everyone will recognize and for the classes, we have technology and magic coming together, feel free to mix ad mach for that, if you have a special name for a class and you think others will need it explained, explain it but don't feel restrained by that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I have two questions. At what rate is it plausible that this will get of the ground, and what level of technology is it that the humans have? Is this 21th century weapons and computers or is more like 19th century machinery and canons?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm 

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Well I still intend to join I was just busy with finals the last couple weeks.

Name: Xareth Vargas
Race: Demon though he claims he has a human ancestor
Class: Techno Mage - Melding of technology with magic. More detailed description available upon asking.
Appearance: His scarlet skin is usually the first thing others notice when they encounter him. What they tend to notice next is the sharp horns protruding from his head followed closely by his pointy teeth. On his back rests two wings that when folded up resemble a cloak. Trailing behind him is a tail with a barbed spike at the end. He is lightly muscled and usually wears a red suit to show he is more civilized than most of his brethren.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 am 
hufflepuff head of house

Sivert3 - I have no idea when this will get off the ground, I would like a couple more players before I begin even thinking about playing. As for technology, I think the obtaining of magic would move our technology forward so aim for 21st century but with a distinctly 19th/20th century feel if that makes sense

FDI - Awesome character could you send me information about: what being a demon does for him, his techno-mancy, and (I really am sorry about this request) whether or not he absolutely needs the wings?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:15 pm 

Okay to answer your questions in order of appearance.

My intention of him being a demon is multiparted. First, I would like him to be old enough to have been around before magic and technology had been around each other long enough to combine in their applications. As such I didn't know exactly how long ago it was when the worlds combined, so I decided 300 or so was old enough to be around before the merge of the two worlds especially considering you said the technology was about 21st century level. Also being a demon, he is a creature of magic and he would have such a long lifespan that any age applied to him would be almost pointless except to denote how long he has been around and how much he has learned. Second, I feel that playing a demon that is more human than his counterparts a novel idea. Too that end I would like him to be young enough to embrace the human ways as well as their technology.

Techno-mancy, my idea for this is fairly simple. I intend to use a melding of both systems, magic and technology. For magic things work by drawing arcane symbols, speaking an incantation, and occasionally making complex hand or body movements. Technology works by manipulating machines by: using code to tell what the machine should do (for most computer based technology: phones, cameras, modern cars, etc), while the other technology is mostly just an abstract combination of levers, gears and sprockets that when given the right stimulus,(ie electricity, water power, turning a crank or other types of levers) achieve the desired result of action.

The first form of technology described is the hardest to integrate with magic. But if you stop to think about it, the code that operates the machines is just a string of letters or symbols similar to that of an incantation. So you can replace this string of letters with an equivalent incantation that accomplishes the same thing. You can also alter (or hack) this code by using a incantation to modify the symbols contained in it allowing a person to change the purpose of a machine to his own designs. In order for this type of manipulation the person working the magic would by necessity need to know a lot about the technology in question. To help this a person could develop a minor spell that would tell the user in question about the inner workings of the device.

The second form of technology is a lot easier to integrate with magic as you can just replace the stimulus with magic or enchant it to release magic when given the right stimulus, like pulling the trigger on a gun to release a magic missile (if you play DND you know what this is, otherwise its just a small missile that is made of magical energy that shoots towards its target). By this you can string a bunch of simple machines together by using magic to accomplish larger effects and so on. In reality this is actually what more complicated machines are except they use code instead to integrate all the other parts of the system.

For a few illustrative examples imagine if you will, being able to hack a computer with waggle of the fingers and muttered incantation. Or to be able to type on the keyboard to make the table its resting on levitate. Able to animate electronic things so that they moved on their own, like a keyboard so that it can continue to type up a paper you were assigned or a post on a forum. :)

As to the wings, I don't really need them, they were merely a bit of artistic flair. That and I have a fondness to winged characters.

If I missed anything or you would like a little more detail on some area just let me know.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Thank you FDI, that should do.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 am 

No problem :D

Offline Profile