Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Post subject: an idea while we wait for Ex
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:39 am 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
Board has been dead for a month now. Ex is passionate about his thread and he wants to continue it unforchantly at the moment he lacks the time. in the interim to keep the boards alive I would like to propose running another thread at the moment. If anybody has suggestions on what we should run please post it here. everybody is welcome new and old.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: an idea while we wait for Ex
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm 
G.E.E.K.

I posted an idea a few months back but didn't get any replies.
Another thing we could do is revive the tavern. Who knows how many peole have old characters sitting in there (in fact, I think I'm still waiting on a drink).
If I weren't in a creative dry spell I'd most definately try to come up with more ideas.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:18 pm 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

i've been entertaining an idea for awhile about something in the Warhammer 40k universe. not sure how familiar everyone is with 40k universe, but if there's enough interest then i'd like to try it out.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 am 
Cererean Princess

Someone did propose something like that, it might have been Vamp..?

I'll try to think of something.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:53 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Yea, I tried a WH 40k game. But I am a 'start from scratch' type, and those are hard to start here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
Personally I'm not familiar with warhammer But I wouldn't mind trying it out

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 am 
Cererean Princess

How about an RP set in a world that's gone to pot, where rogue genetically engineered creatures stalk the darkness, trans-humans ascend to become minor physical gods, and you can no longer get a decent breakfast at a diner?

Basically, the end of the world as we know it, with added tech-sparkle.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:27 am 
G.E.E.K.

I back DragonRider's idea. I could easily create a character for such a plot.

Just 1 question... are we playing the trans-human semi-gods, or are we playing normal humans?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
I also back Dragonrider, but to add to the quetion posed by Dragon444: semigods, regular humans, or the creatures?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:04 pm 
Cererean Princess

Regular humans...? Mind, a lot of the rogue creatures used to be human.

I'll try to flesh it out a bit more, and actually think of a plot. Expect to deal with Daleks, Werewolves, Orcs, Vampires, Zombies, and many other beings too wonderful and terrible to mention. Oh, and Dragons (or maybe Wyverns), I mustn't forget those, even if they are only giant, toothed, hairless birds with scaly skin, designed to look like reptiles. 8) Limited biotechnological upgrades are available, though not mandatory. Consider it a mash-up between Cyberpunk and Biopunk, with a healthy dose of Steampunk and Clockpunk mixed in. Logically extend current DIY Biotech and Cybernetics to the level routinely done in labs, perhaps.

The physical gods are, fortunately, limited only to their own domains, but their powers within are quite extensive (Ferrofluid walls can be quite versatile with the appropriate electromagnets, and with assistant AI, it's quite possible to simulate Omniscience in a given area). Their loyal servants serve as an extension of their powers.

Thanks to the valiant efforts of the Internet Engineering Taskforce, plus sizable anonymous donations, the Internet still exists in a shrunken form, though most use private networks to hide their activities from the remnants of the former world governments.

Many small villages, often encircled by impassable forests grown by those who meant well by engineering fast growing trees, lack access to the outside world entirely, and are terrorised by creatures such as the (somewhat inaccurately named) Werewolves, who are in someways vulnerable to silver due to it's antibacterial properties, but can be killed by any bullet.

The cities are crumbling wastelands, full of crime and villainy where what's left of the police no longer dare to tread. Enterprising individuals can often find work fulfilling the various needs which were previously met by the government, and each inner city territory is often like a nation-state unto itself, replete with urban farms - a small blessing of the Biotech Revolution was a dramatic increase in crop yields - and hospitals/clinic, often provided by charitable organisations. Much of the infrastructure is jury rigged, and many vendors can be found here, selling dangerous - and painful - mods, which offer new abilities such as increased muscle strength (always popular), better oxygen capability enabling one to hold their breath for at least as long as Whales, and enhanced cognition, among many others. These do, however, come at a price...

Those rich enough have sought refuge in gated communities, where they and their families can pretend the plagues never happened, there is still a force willing to protect them, and they can live normal lives. While outside, the masses live in poverty, often trying to storm the gates only to be repelled by tear gas, Tasers, and 2m thick concrete security fences.

Then there are the Biopunks themselves. Often shunned as the ones who caused the rapid decline of civilisation, they are the only ones who can cure many of the diseases afflicting the people, and the ones who put a stop to the plagues.

The plagues - the generic term for the engineered bacteria and viruses which spread through humanity, wreaking havoc where they go, messing with hormonal cycles at their most harmless and leaving people catonic at their worst. They were released by a variety of groups - notably, the radical feminist group Women's Liberation Alliance released a bacteria which converted Testosterone into Estrongen, with predictable consequences, while the Black Rising! group released one which caused an increase in melanin production in skin, to "see how white people feel when they're black". Others have no known creator, and were probably the result of a lone mad scientist.

Is there enough for characters to be made? Near-baselines, please, from a variety of backgrounds. Any questions, just asked; I'm make a new thread later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:37 am 
G.E.E.K.

That's more than enough to make a character. Just 1 last question.
What tech level was humanity at when the plagues happened (weapon wise, that is)? We know they obviously unlocked the genetic code and could engineer a virus to alter it, but that's genetics, not guns and the like.
I ask because I'm sure we'll be doing our fair share of fighting and I'd like to know what kind of weapons my character can have.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:01 am 
Cererean Princess

Well... they weren't quite capable of rewriting the human genetic code somatically, at least in most places. What they did was use bacteria to affect gene regulation and hormonal control withing humans, forcing changes that weren't genetic in nature. Sure, some genetic engineering is possible, for example boosting the oxygen carrying capacity of blood, but large scale changes such as growing a new leg aren't.

In terms of weaponry, think guns. Most of which will be manufactured as a sort of cottage industry. Oh, and explosive drones. In terms of actual technology they're about the same as now, though developed a lot more and with a lot more tricks - say, sacrificing your pinky finger for an on-off switch which allows you to control anything from a light switch to the trigger on a weapon, though Gwendellion will emphatically not be having one...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:59 am 
G.E.E.K.

So no energy weapons...
Looks like my blade and pistol combo are going to make a return. Now it's deciding what mods he'll have...

Offline Profile