Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OOC For Black Thorn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:04 pm 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
um you is confused. My char doesn't know anybody and didn't show off any powers at all, your thinking of Ire's :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:31 pm 
G.E.E.K.

My bad. Sorry, Ward. I double checked and it was Ire.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:21 pm 
Legend of Old

I am in charge of 46 soldiers. I didn't shoot a 50.cal. or beat their ass with my martial arts the first time I stood in front of them as their platoon leader. You DO have to get a feeling for one another; what that means is you get the feeling for one another: not their powers.

I designed this thread to have ample interaction with each other. With your first posts, some of you were like, "Bam, here I am. I am a badass. Look at my powers."

And THAT was your character development or introduction. Wardonis actually did a decent job in giving his character description without waving his junk around.

The Administrator is a combat hardened badass, but I didn't want you guys to know that yet because I wanted you to get the feeling for the character before I even began to describe his abilities. That, and you guys have to be context sensitive.

You are about to get briefed by your employer. Especially in a military organization, you don't walk into the room with your superior and demonstrate your abilities as a soldier. That will get your ass KICKED so hard... it's not even funny. The worst scolding I have ever seen in the military was directed towards a soldier who tried to show off.

Now physical traits like scars and the way you see everything is completely fine! Description is great. So keep that up. This is what I am saying:

Be more context sensitive. You know how you can get to know everybody in the room? A) Say Hi. B) observe and make personal opinions about people and then confirm them with interaction then or at a later date. You know, things you would do in real life?

Additionally, if you want to compare this to a militaristic situation, which it is; as a soldier, when your superior is in the room about to brief you, don't walk around and interact with everyone as you so choose. He says take a seat, you take a seat. There is a reason he is in charge, and it probably had nothing to do with you. You are a part of Black Thorn, which is militaristic. If you want to make a character that is insubordinate and has a temper or something, those are character development traits and that is the kind of person he is, but expect to get scolded or worse when in front of your superior. That is how that works. Don't be hurt or surprised when the author either asks you to tone it down or has the Administrator put the hurtin' on you.

I am not saying do not describe your character or fail to utilize his talents. I am asking you to actually develop and share your character's personality without flopping their junk on the table and saying, "look at it. I'm awesomely manly. Look at what I got going on!" This forces you to interact with others as you normally would, and develop personality and share unit cohesion.

Does this make sense?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:33 pm 
G.E.E.K.

Yes, sir, it does.
Amaret is antisocial, and (without drawing sword or gun) he's fully shown what he can do by revealing Ire's illusion.
He does not mean to be a "badass" nor to "show off".
He grew up alone, he doesn't trust easily, and he likes watching and listening to people when they think he's occupied/asleep.
It gives him an advantage.
He knows the Administrator could kill him at a moments notice, especially in the Blackthorn HQ. He's worked with them before. It's obvious that he doesn't care, though.
Remember, he's a nomad, mercenary, orphan. His parents were Blackthorn agents who are MIA/KIA. It's only reasonable that he doesn't like the organization, but it's his only hope at finding any info about his parents.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:52 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
I'm sorry and no I did not mean to say "Hey I'm a badass" when I posted. The only reason I even did my post like that was to show that my character and Dragon444's character knew each other and were friends. I realize that I could have chosen a better way to do this but I did not think that this way would pose this problem when I thought it up. And yes when I was thinking up my char I honestly decided that his normal approach to any situation was to send in an illusion with him nearby as a security measure, this was just his paranoia kicking in.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

Alright first post is up, sorry for the long wait.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:53 am 
Legend of Old

Ok everyone, interact a little more, and I will post it up soon. Everyone include The Administrator saying, "Everyone, introduce yourselves" or something like that, and let me see your creative juices flow. That doesn't mean flashing about your abilities, this means telling me about your character. He was finance? Why the hell is he now specop? That HAS to be a great story! You use to be a cleaner? It's pretty hard to get blood out of carpet, isn't it?

*rubs hands together.* oohooohoo.... so much fun. Go my minons! Go forth and have fun!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:04 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

This interests me too Ex. am waiting for the internet to be installed in my apartment and then, if i can, I'm going to join in too.

Fyre

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 am 
G.E.E.K.

Pretty sure this is quite early, but...
Welcome back Fyre. Between Exx and yourself, this RP will grand.

Now if only people would actually post...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:33 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

I'll post tomorrow. I've been working and ill for the last coupla days, sorry.

Edit 04/07: Nope, sorry still ill, can't concentrate enough to write. Expect something by the end of the week.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 pm 
Legend of Old

It's ok Guys, I understand life gets in the way. When the posts start up again, I will progress the storyline even further.

Fyre, so good to see you again mate. I was hoping you would turn around for this one.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:47 pm 
Legend of Old

Alright guys I decided not to cancel it entirely. Just give me a little bit and we will pick up where we left off.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Hey ya'll just a note, dropping out of this one. Some stuff's come up and I can't properly balance this against everything else that I have going on (including a new job). So sadly, I'm going to have to drop it.

Ex, do what you will.

Later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:57 pm 
Legend of Old

Noted.

Everyone: There are a few bumps in the road now, but I can iron them out. I just need to write a character or two out and situate plot points together, and we can have an RP again.

In the meantime, thank you for the patience and cooperation.

-EXX

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:12 am 
Legend of Old

Hey everyone! I am doing a quick roll call to see who is still with me.

Who all still wants to be an active part of the thread that is Black Thorn?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:19 am 
Wanderer
Wanderer

you can count me in brother

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:17 pm 
G.E.E.K.

That makes 2 of us, friend, for I am still interested as well.
I sincerely hope this story continues to its conclusion, or to a great many pages.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 am 

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Count me in :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
you now have four. 8)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 pm 
Legend of Old

Alright! All I need is about four loyal posters! I plan on making this awesome, so I hope you guys enjoy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 am 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
I'm still in too. That means plus you...there are six.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:22 am 
Legend of Old

Okay,

College is back in the swing, and that means a few of us are busy embodying the real responsibilities of life and of the scholar. I understand that completely.

If there are still around six of us (including myself), this will be a really fun thread. If it is about two people posting, the only thing we will get out of it is a good story and a pissed off author. Hahah!

PM me if you have some scheduling issues, but I will try to post at least twice a week minimum to keep the flow of things started once I know for a fact that I have participation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:38 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

still here for this thing bud, just let me know when your ready.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 pm 
Legend of Old

So far I have two confirmed, and that is awesome because three people is still enough to really do some damage to our boredom with a great story. (If only I was a great story teller.)

Unfortunately you are stuck with me!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:29 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Two can write amazing tales Ex, we should know. I finally have the internet at home and I'll see if I can take part. Can't promise at this stage, work takes it out of me come the evenings (Kindergarten teaching!)

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next