Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Post subject: Gold in their Souls, Fire in their Eyes
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 pm 
Master Old Dragon

So... I decided that since it hasn't really been done (successfully) up here as of yet, I'd like to resurrect my attempt from way back in the day to do a historical fiction piece. And not just any historical fiction, but historical fiction centering around pirates^^ Ah, yes, Pirates, those wonderful figures of so much sea-myth and lore.

Now, at this exact moment, I'm just gauging interest. But I can tell you off the bat that I am writing as two pirate captains. You can choose to be either a part of their crews (more to come on each to help you decide) OR you can choose to write for the antagonist or his/her crew members. If you're interested in the role of the antagonist, let me know so we can work out details.

As far as plot, here's the bare bones of it: it is going to center around the search for El Dorado, the mythical city of gold. That being said, there will be adventures on various islands, encounters with all manner of natives, the supernatural gods and goddesses that inhabit their realms, and of course, various monsters, both on sea and on land. Also, though, it will center around a conflict of who-can-find-it-first. The conflict will either be pirates vs. privateers or pirates vs. the Crown Herself. Which one exactly (or if there are any other ideas for it, DO let me know) will be determined if and when I have someone step forward to write for some aspect of the antagonist's role. If needs be, I will write for this, but I know a lot of people love playing the villain lol.

Now, this is historical fiction, so it is EARTH, there is very little in the way of the supernatural and tech, and HUMANS. Also, for those of you who aren't caught up on the info on pirates and the like, I can definitely supply info and sites to help you out^^ But pretty much, as long as its piratical, I'm cool with it.

On that note, once you DO submit your character for me, here's what I'll need:

1.) Which side/ship are they on?
2.) If they have their own ship (would really prefer they not, but if it is a MUST) what kind? This could even be a foreign ship not native to the Caribbean, if you have a good story on why/how it got there. For example, the Barbary Pirates of the Mediterranean used ships called Galleys.
3.) weapons- I can provide a LOT of info here on the various weapons in use at the time from flintlocks to cutlasses.

To help with the sides/ships question, I'll let you know that my two characters are female captains, one heading a ship called the Stardust Morning, which is a more... benign ship (a Schooner), targeting mostly slave ships, etc. Most of her crew is former/freed slaves. She is considered to be one of the fastest ships in the Caribbean and is among the top of the most wanted list due to the high price of the cargo that she targets. The other is called the Daemon Star, and its captain is about as frightening as the name, but fiercely loyal to her men. This ship is larger, possibly a Brig or Frigate. haven't quite decided yet. But her firepower is extraordinary compared to the Stardust Morning, despite being slower. These two work in tandem with one another, and while they do not always sync their raids up, will often aid one another when they can, and often do conduct affairs together.

Ok, that's enough to give you a taste, I think. let me know what you think and launch any questions my way so we can build this up!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Gold in their Souls, Fire in their Eyes
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:05 pm 
Dragon God of Drageloc

I might bring my friend Leon Von in this (he might have interest in this) lol.... I call dibs on FIRST MATE!!!! ... or the Boatswain :P ...

I decide to work for Daemon Star...

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Be warned, the Captain of the Daemon Star is a force of nature unto herself. The first mate will get the brunt of her temper, lol. And actually, the whole "first mate" thing is a misconception. He would actually be the Quartermaster. I'll consider it. Maybe. Start on a character, and shoot it my way and I'll take a look. Also, I'll be getting up the character bios soon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:55 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Found a site to help with determining what ranking ya'll would like your characters to have. Multiple requests for the same position will be decided by me.

http://www.thepirateking.com/historical/ship_roles.htm

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:08 am 
Dragon God of Drageloc

lol... now that I actually know the ranking system... quarter master :) (sounds more my style... Solving the problems of the crew... and finally getting rid of a portion of favoritism... for now :) )

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:09 am 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Considering my knowledge of El Dorado is that it belonged to a Native American tribe why not have that be the main enemy?

I would be interested, I will get my ideas out later

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:44 am 
Master Old Dragon

They are at some point, but to give too much away would be giving away spoilers, lol.

For a time, yes until an understanding is reached, they will be. I have worked a bit on the plot though, and to fill everyone in, it is going to be privateers vs. pirates. W00t.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:28 am 
Master Old Dragon

Ok, here are my characters (I figured it might help ya'll decide who you want to be with).

Name: Her real name is unknown, but she goes by "Keiko". No one knows where she got this name from.
Race: White, appears to have some Asian influences though
Height: 5'4"
Appearance: Keiko is a very puzzling character, physically. Her appearance would lead one to think that she has a strain of albinism in her, given her pale complexion and platinum blonde, nearly white, hair and blue eyes. This is believed by some of her crew given the fact that other than the coloring of her various features, the woman has the distinctive traits of one who is of Asian descent, including the epicanthic fold of the eyes. Little is known, though, of how she reached the Caribbean, or if she is albino, how she manages to keep herself healthy. Some have theories, though, especially given that she is rarely outside without her wide-brimmed hat... It is an odd thing, though, to see a woman so exotic in the almost normal clothing that she wears- normal being trousers, belts, thigh-high boots, the flouncy shirts of the time, topped with a vest and a jacket. Rarely does she step outside without her jacket, though.
Personality: Keiko can best be described as... prickly. An accomplished seawoman, she is highly confident in her abilities on the open ocean, and indeed, can perform most of the tasks that she assigns her own men. She generally leaves them to it, however, judging that she has "more important" things to do, until she finds that they're doing it wrong. EXCEPT in battle, when she becomes VERY involved. Despite having an explosive temper, she was elected as Captain and remains the leader of the Daemon Star due to her decisiveness and confidence in battle, her abilities and hardiness as a sailor, and her fierce loyalty to her men (and women). For example, she once chased down a Royal Navy vessel for a week to rescue a captured member of her crew. Also notable, however, she is a veritable harpy if you do manage to piss her off (which is not difficult to do), and does not hesitate to mete out punishment accordingly. In this regard she is harsh and unforgiving, at best. The last government men who crossed her were found drawn and quartered on an island, their various pieces hanging from a tree with a note sewn into the skin of one to send better officers next time. The woman is a workaholic who enjoys her work.
Weapons: Keiko carries at all times a Chinese Dao sword (type of broadsword), a stiletto, and two flintlock pistols, always loaded, until use.
History: Keiko's is a history shrouded in mystery. Not many know from whence she came, but many speculate and turn to the far East. Since she appeared in the Caribbean in 1710 she has made a name for herself, causing her to be ranked with her male peers as among the most ruthless in the vicinity. Different names abound for her, including the Siren (due to her exotic beauty) and some even speculate that she is a witch, or the wife of Neptune. She does nothing to quell the rumors, of course, given that they only help her, as even certain Naval captains are afraid to engage her in battle. Indeed, it only seems to help in this case, that she seems downright bloodthirsty in her attempts on various merchant vessels.
Ship: Daemon Star. It is a Brig of about 120 ft. in length, 25 cannons, can reach up to 11 knots in prime conditions, and can run with a crew of about 12 to 16. The most notable thing about this ship, besides its Captain, is its appearance. The figurehead is carved to look like a woman perched/straddling the front of the ship with. Her clothes are tattered and torn, and she wears a wicked grin. But most notable are the demonic wings that clearly adorn her shoulders. And also, the sails are crimson. Keiko's colors are that of a black field, in the middle of which is a grinning demon skull under a blanket of stars.

Harlie's info coming next!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:46 am 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Heres my character
Name: Sir Charles Hunter

Role: Antagonist

Ships: 3 ship fleet
1 Flagship called "Hunter's Fury" is an Asian Junk with 17 guns
2 a fast schooner named "Dancing Moon" with 15 guns
3 is a man-of-war called "Tempest" with 55 guns

Background: Was formerly the Master Gunner to Keiko but after killing
someone she wanted the pleasure of killing she marooned him on an island
where he was found by the Royal Navy. In return for allowing him to go free
he became a privateer and devoted his energy to hunting down pirates and
paying back Keiko for leaving him stranded.

Personality: Charismatic, Charming, Vindictive and Businesslike... to many
women he is known to be a flatterer and is very charming. He can be very
persuavive if given a few moments to speak. If he feels that he has been
wronged or things don't go his way he will stop at nothing to pay back the
perpetrator... if you happen to be on the point of view that you haven't
done anything wrong you will generally be safe unless he decides it would
be good business sense to kill you. so when he sacks pirates he normally
says something along the lines of "It's nothing personal mind you, I am just
performing a job, I'm sure you understand" and then kills the captain. For
the remaining crew he poses the question to join him... for those who
refuse he leaves them on the ship and sinks it seeing it as they can't hold a
grudge if they are dead.

Description: 26 years old 6'1" Long black hair kept in a ponytail, Brown
eyes, athletic build,long thin scar crossing his left cheek to his chin given to
him as a parting gift by Keiko

Weapons:Cutlass on his left hip and a flintlock pistol on his right and with a
dagger in each boot

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 am 
Master Old Dragon

Ire: Approved^^ We discussed the antagonist role, so that's fine.

Now, to everyone else, if you want to be part of Ire's crew, that's fine too, btw^^

OK! Harlie's bio!

Name:Harlene Trelawney, aka Harlie
Race: White, Quaker descent
Height: 5'10"
Appearance: Harley is a beauty, and were she not involved in piracy, stands a chance of being able to elevate herself quite high in society. Long red hair is loosely pulled into a braid that hangs to the small of her back and her eyes are a soft brown. Her complexion is a constant tan, due to her eternal presence on the deck of her ship, and she is slender in build. Her garb is fairly simple, entailing only a pair of sturdy boots, trousers, a simple tunic and vest (sometimes with the vest), and a bandanna topping her head. She also wears the typical three cornered hat occasionally and owns a jacket, but really only uses it in inclement weather.
Personality: Harlie is known throughout the Caribbean, but not because of her violence, but her sheer success with her raids. Most remember her as being polite, until crossed, and she is a woman of much patience. The woman is extremely kind and easy-going, and indeed fairly peaceful until need calls for her to act otherwise. She will always issue a warning. ONE warning. Failure to take it and anything that happens to you is your own fault. And even when killing an enemy, she is will often pause for a second to utter a prayer for their soul, or do so in the act. This particular pirate is known for her success in her profession, but also for the fierce loyalty that her crew has to her, though this may be due to the majority of them being slaves that she had a hand in freeing over the years. Threaten any of them and you will be lucky to get a warning.
Weapons: Dirk and cutlass... or saber haven't decided which, lol
History: Harlie is descended from Quakers, but despite this upbringing, didn't quite get the memo on the nonviolence bit. Her family originally settled in Pennsylvania, but due to business ventures, moved further south, where they encountered the ugly face of slavery. It was an experience that the young girl would never forget. It is known that she experienced something that so turned her against it, besides her family's staunch Quaker abolitionism, but she gets quiet when asked about it. Whatever happened, she decided to take more... direct action than simply opposing it. Ever the tomboy, she learned from an early age how to sail under her family's tutelage as her father was a merchant and her uncle was a shipbuilder. Using this knowledge, she stowed away on an exotic looking vessel in a Carolina port and never looked back. At that time she was 13. The vessel was the one that Keiko would eventually take over, a Junk by the name of the Goddess Embrace. She worked her way up through the ranks, starting as a cabingirl. When Keiko did take it over a few years later, Harlie was made Quartermaster, and by the age of 20 had her own ship when they captured a schooner that she renamed the Stardust Mourning. An indirect route, but as Captain of her own vessel, she now commands a crew comprised mostly of freed slaves (though there are some who are not), and stalks the slave trade routes in the Caribbean. When not doing that, she is aiding Keiko in her endeavors to keep the flow of money up.
Ship: The Stardust Mourning. This ship is a schooner, 14 guns, crew of about 14 and can top off speed at about 12 knots. It is an elegant ship, built for speed and smuggling. The figurehead is that of an angel, pointing skywards, as though pointing towards the stars while shielding her face with arm other arm as though in sorrow. For my Whovians out there, think Weeping Angels, haha! Harlie's colors are currently tbd.

There you are! Any questions, let me know!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:29 pm 
Solitary Serpent

Just wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still on board. I've been busy tending to sick animals. :( Hopefully, I'll have at least one character posted tomorrow.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:28 am 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

Well well, didn't think I'd see this again. Let's see if I can find my old character.

*riffles through old posts*

Here we go:

Name: Brian Mackay
Race: White/ Scottish
Height: 6'3
Weight: 200lbs.
Build: Very Muscular. Were he lacks in speed he more than makes up for in sheer brute stregnth.
Hair: Black with a tinge of grey on either side and in the beard.
Eyes: Jade Green
Clothing: Loose fitting black pants tucked into worn leather boots. A loose white shirt with a black leather belt wrapping the waist. Last but not least a wide brimmed hat with a large white feather sticking out of the right side.

Pref. Weapon: His preferred weapons are a cutlass that has been named Saw for the way the blade is serated and a pistol that never seems to leave his side.

History: After having spent most of his childhood on a fishing trawler with his father the love of the sea and sailing has always been with him. His father died at sea right after he turned 12 then his mother soon after from a broken heart, he then decided to join the Royal Navy soon after his mother passed realising that the sea was all he had left. Spent most of his early years on frigates greatly enjoying their agility and speed over the larger ships-of-the-line. Over the years he served on almost every type of ship the royal navy had in its fleet at the time, but he never lost that love for the frigate. After he turned 32, twenty years after he joined, he got his own commision to the very ship he first served on the HMS Surprise. After he got his ship he was asigned to a squadron under a rich pompous young Admiral that had only gotten that postion because of his family's standing with the royal family. He never truly got on with the young Admiral and disagree with him on many things about his command of the squadron. He truly became fed up when he was ordered to fire on one of their own merchantmen, and when he refused was fired on by the Admirals own ship for "treason". Upon succesfully defending his ship from the attack by the Admirals ship and sinking her he knew there was no way he could go back to England, not after the merchantman had seen everything and made best speed away from the fighting warships. He told his crew what most of them already knew and allowed them the chance to disembark and return to their families or stay, most stayed deciding not to abandon their captain. They took on supplies and made for the Carribean shortly after those who decided to leave had and have made a life of getting by the best they can, but the reach of the royal navy is great and they're never able to get to far before they run into more of them.

Personality: A man who loves a challange and when the odds are against him. In an entire life of pirating he has yet to lose a battle on the sea against another ship that's why he has named his ship Murchadh (scottish for sea-warrior). But truth be told and as far as he is concerned, he's just really lucky. Much of the time he can be found having an ale with his crew, or starting some kind of brawl while in port, everyone just blames it him being a Scottsman.

Ship: The Murchadh. An old Royal Navy Frigate, 24 guns 22 x 9 pounders on the main deck and 2 on the lower with two 3 pounders on the quarter deck. With a crew of close to hundred she is a little undermanned for a ship her size. At 112ft. long and a beam of 32ft. she is not a particularly fast ship with a strong wind at full sail and with a current could possibly top out at 11 or 12 knots. But she is sturdy and can stand her own in combat which Brian has proven countless times.

Hope this is sufficent Ciarda.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 am 
Cererean Princess

Grrr. I'd love to join, but that brings my total up to 4 at one time, and I'm not sure I can keep up with that rate... I'll consider it.

If I do join, I'd like to join as a ships Surgeon on one of Sir Charles' ships.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:11 am 
Master Old Dragon

Switch: Accepted! Glad to have you on for this one^^ Depending on how the other characters come into play, we can work out how he winds up in their company a little before the start.

Dragonrider: Feel free if you feel you can

Ersska: Looking forward to it!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

Is it to late for me to join Ciarda? I'd really enjoy a game like this being a navy man myself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:46 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Not all friend, get your character posted, I'd love to have you! My Dad was in the Navy for 23 years, so from a Navy brat, welcome!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Alright guys, so Ex is back from training, so we can get this started as soon as I get everyone's characters^^ Should be fun

Offline Profile