Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Secrets of the Lost Core
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Ok, so after giving it some thought, it came to me! I've developed the Archai a bit, and as a result, come up with the reasons why this continent is so effed up.

Ok, so here's the method to the madness:

There were four races at one point in time that inhabited the continent. There were the indigenous peoples of the Killing Fields (humans who were close to nature and whatnot), the Fahim (a race of spiritual beings, very shamanistic in their approach to life, magic, etc and possessed almost no technology), the main brunt of the humans (colonists from some other world, expanding into other parts of the galaxy, possessing some tech) and the Archai, a race not physically strong, per se, but who had managed to combine magic and tech into machines and means both useful and fantastic.

It was the Archai who discovered a means of travel between our own plane of existence and the others layered throughout the universe, specifically, those of a supernatural element. Oddly, they were the only ones that could withstand the actual travel from one to another, and their discoveries therein made them wary of allowing access to them by the other races. Creatures and powers both divine and demonic lay on the other side, and in their wisdom they saw the mass potential they held for the destruction of all the races, if used unwisely.

And so they chose to take the path of guardians, using the newfound power to turn the continent into a veritable Garden of Eden. They found that they were able to channel the power from the other side using their own energies- the same as a kind of "magic" so to speak. A side-effect of the fact that their "magic" and power lay in channeling the divine was that they became conduits of sorts for the divine plane. Over time this power began to evolve in them into a sort of two-way empathy, the ability to project their own feelings and emotions into the world around them, and to feel the happiness, joy, pain and sorrow of others.

Their greatest contribution, however, was the summoning of creatures from the Beyond (working name). Because they saw little point in the hostility of war, they used them only for the benefit of the continent. But there were those who begrudged them their power. While the humans could not travel to the plane, they found that a few among them could channel the same power to summon the beasts. However, in their lust for power, they did not seek the divine creatures that Archai so commonly trusted- these were too close to the Archai, and seemed to hold little potential to act as real weapons.

They wound up drawing something much fiercer, and darker at first. The greatest of these creatures was called Bedrothen, and it was among the strongest of the creatures of destruction. It convinced a mass of foolish, desperate people that they were being used, and that if they were to ever own this planet truly, they would have to oust the Archai. The fools obeyed and demanded unobstructed access to the plane beyond of the Archai. When the Archai refused, all hell broke loose- literally. The humans used the destructive power of these creature, led by Bedrothen, to completely annihilate their once-shining empire. It was over in a matter of days, the humans springing their newfound weapons on the unsuspecting Archai in the most brutal fashion.

Some say that when they stopped breathing, so did the continent. In the years after their extinction at the hands of the humans, all races suffered. The gates to the other side mysteriously sealed, with no explanation of how or why. Most distressing, though, are the changes that have come over the continent since their deaths. The once lush, beautiful places have all-but become feral deathtraps. The general agreement is that when they died, the Archai unwittingly projected all of their grief and pain into the land that they once cared for and tended. The Killing Fields, where much of the carnage occurred (it was home at one time to the largest Archai city on the continent and ran with grasses lush and green) is now more than desolate; it is a wasteland, bereft of any life, save a few wretched skeleton trees, the indigenous peoples who refuse to abandon it, and some very dangerous creatures. It is a prime example of how the suffering of the people warped the very land around them.

Everything is askew, and some wonder- will the continent ever be the same again? Or will it continue to fester and decay? Some say that when justice is achieved and the grieving of the Archai souls ceases, that the continent will flourish again, others believe that it is as simple as finding the LR. The majority, however, see the place as cursed, and argue that it will never be the same again. Whatever the case, the continent is no walk in the park for hunters and should be considered and crossed with extreme caution.

Sorry about the seeming randomness of this post, I was writing stream-of-consciousness, or as the ideas came to me. I wanted to get teh ideas down before I lost them. Enjoy!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:32 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Wow i haven't read it all yet but wow... very long post

Edit: Okay just finished reading but you forgot to mention the Treinis who I introduced as beings created by the Archai them being a mix between Archai and Great Cats

wasn't sure if you wanted to expand on their history(it is your world) or you wanted me to do that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 pm 
Master Old Dragon

FDI: You can. I'm cool with it. I was getting it written down before I fell asleep (just got off work before posting this). Overall, on that nore, does everything look coherent?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:16 pm 

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Looks really good to me

Well as mentioned the Archai were not physically very strong but they were skilled in magic and technology so they asked around the Archai who would want to be the "Parents" of a new race they soon found some Archai who were willing to be the parents of a new sub-race and they melded their DNA using with that of the Great Cats of the regions they then took to calling themselves the Treinis which meant "The divine children of the Archai" after they were changed they took on the labors that were far to physically demanding for Archai's and they praised them for it for the Archai never asked them to take it upon themselves. The Treinis flourished within the Archai empire and were always respected wherever they went. Soon after their creation they found that their magic was a little different to the Archai's they could still travel to the other planes and summon their holy friends albeit they were weaker in Archai magic they found that they had stronger magical ties to the natural world and found that they had an especially strong power to influence living things such as: they could encourage wounds to heal faster or even remove a wound and take it upon themselves, manipulate plants to do their bidding, even alter physical features although this was only taught to be used in moderation as this could potentially cause more harm than solve them
They couldn't use this magic indefinitely as each use tired them and after about ten uses in a single day they became so tired they could barely walk

When the Archai were attacked by the foul demons the Treinis fought back valiantly and many died trying to protect it but soon they realized that they had no hope of winning against Bedrothen and his foul minions so they fled with as many Archai as they could, sadly there were rather few survivors, and they made settlements in the now ravaged land.

So tell me how do you like it? If you want anything changed or added just say the word

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:52 pm 
Dragon God of Drageloc

You two have done really well on the race story lines.

Ciarda, this question doesn’t really matter but how does your race space travel? Is it like Azrivel’s way where they travel thru the universe by certain connection of portals or do they use space ships for travel??

Again it does not matter what the answer is but I kind of wondered how they space travel when reading your HUGE post. :mrgreen:

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:49 pm 
Master Old Dragon

They don't really space travel per se. That was actually the humans that live across the sea from the continent.

To put it in a nutshell, Malachi got off the planet when he was about 16 (as Acrhais age, of course). He did so by traveling off Tierisca and heading to the next one over, where the humans had dominance (unlike in Tierisca where they were definitely a minority).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:03 am 
Dragon God of Drageloc

ok I think I understand

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:13 am 
Master Old Dragon

Hey ya'll just a note to let you know, not all my posts will be remotely as long as that last one was, I was just setting it up so we can get this thing moving. SO... yeah. Now worries on that, k? Sorry for the length, just wanting to get this rolling. As such, there was a lot to cover. Thanks!

-Ciarda

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 am 

I have no problems with long posts it was just that i was amazed that there was so much that you had thought of

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
Wardonis is a giant of a man standing 7’4” with shoulders nearly 4 feet wide, wearing silver heavy full plate with a gold 7 sided star on the breastplate. He wears no helm leaving his coal black hair free that he keeps in an almost loose corporate cut. He typically has a wide friendly grin and is a gentle giant despite his appearance. He keeps a large silver shield; (small to him) mounted on his upper left arm and on it a gold 7 sided star as well. In combat he typically dual wields, light on his feet almost dancing in his grace, astonishing his enemies with his fluidity when they think him to be bulky and clumsy. He carries twin crescent battle axes across his back and twin scimitars at his waist, his belt (because it wouldn’t fit like normal) is a bandolier of throwing knives nearly the size of an average mans short sword. He has a falchion strapped to each mighty thigh and a massive glam centered down his back. Various other weapons hang here and there from straps or scabbards about him. His hands are free and ungloved though his silver gauntlets flare out in an almost into shield shape though small (to him) are lined with rows of small razored groves angled back towards his plated elbows. His massive boots have a several dozen small spike on the bottom similar to a golfer’s cleat but much shorter not even lifting him high enough to appear raised and many more of them. While a mighty force in battle his true danger to the enemy is intelligence.

Ward is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet and prefers to always see the best in people. He is rather naive however, and it’s his biggest weakness. He is very easily double crossed and betrayed because he can’t conceive of evil in someone until its thrust in his face, even then he has lingering doubts. He is rather smart but its book smarts not people smarts. Versed in many languages he hungers to learn everything he can and studies people’s actions not out of malice but to learn how things are accomplished and how to better himself.

I’ll post some background next time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:38 pm 

Cool description

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 pm 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
Cairda, how long till we get a map? Its kinda hard to picture things still, just a bit fuzzy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm 

Well without a map it makes it so our path can go anywhere and likely through various places whereas with the map it makes it more defined and we have less choice as to where we are going (although without one we might tend to contradict ourselves on where things are and that could potentially be a problem)

So anyway you slice it this could be good we don't have a map or bad depending on your mentality

I guess a quick sketch of the area would be in favor nothing too fancy so we have flexibility yet defined enough so we know where things are in a general sense

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:26 am 
Master Old Dragon

I know a guy who can get it done for me. I could sketch one, but I'm not sure how I'd get it online- my drawing skills are definitely of capability, but getting it up would the be the issue. However, I have an associate who could probably do one on a computer for me^^

I'll see what I can do.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:29 am 

As long as you had a scanner you could still get one down on paper

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 am 
Master Old Dragon

Ok, here's the preliminary map. Very basic, but it works.

Attachment:
Lost Righteous Map labeled.PNG
Lost Righteous Map labeled.PNG [ 40.57 KiB | Viewed 10517 times ]

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 am 

So i take it that the dotted line is the path we are taking

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:48 pm 

no the dotted line is the pilgrims road

were actually near where the "killing feilds" name is,
talked to her on the phone the other night for awhile bout it

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:15 pm 

Ah good thing we clarified that dotted line because i was really confused

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Hey guys, just an update. As of right now, I'm waiting for Ex to post- he's been pretty sick. If he hasn't in a day or so, I'll find a way for us to move on. Sorry for the wait and I hope to move this along very soon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:12 am 

yeah i have been holding off my post until Ex came back

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm 
Behetmoth

Have I been on longed enough to join?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:02 pm 
Cererean Princess

aquadraca,

It's not a matter of being on long enough. Ciarda simply can't fit anyone else on the RP.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:45 am 
Behetmoth

That's okay, I understand. :frown:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm 
Matrix Operator

You can take my place. Got too much schoolwork to get on that much.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next