Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm

Post subject: The Starshine Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:01 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
Rafaelle looked out at the stars with a faint longing in his heart, though he did not know why. A sharp rap sounded on his desk and he snapped to attention. The teacher smiled coldly at him. "I'm sorry, did you see your flight plans in the stars did you?"

"No ma'am, I just thought I saw something in the distance."

She stood up straight, her face suddenly serious. "There is nothing within three million kilometers of here. Hallucinations? Should I report it?"

"No, no, I'm sure it was just my blind spot, I only saw it in the corner of my eye." Raf knew full well what happened if the computer thought he had a defect. Days and days of testing would ensue, examining his mind in every way imaginable, then burning out the problems with a laser, and then scrubbing the wound with restoration nanoids. Of course, there were electric pulses to preclude and prevent most of the pain, but it was a tedious and costly process, taking much energy and more than a couple IQ points, as he learned from a few of the children who had to endure it. He had had such a defect, and still does, but it is only a mild case of epilepsy and the computer just edited flashes of light from the Program as his mind was not worth ruining over such a trivial problem (as her programming dictated).

"Ah, your peripheral vision. If you are going to pilot this starship onto the Planet, you had better learn to ignore such distractions as its blindspot." He just nodded obediently, his eyes locked onto the teacher's, as her programming told her that eye contact usually meant he was telling the truth.

The program smiled again, coldly as always, and turned back to the board, drawing the hypothetical wind conditions and potential landing spots upon it. The complex equations were child's play to him, and more and more often he found his mind drifting to the stars and an uncertain future.

Basically this is based in a not-so-distant future where an almost completely automatic ship houses a crew of late-teens in biochemical stasis. Their minds are in a complex virtual learning program, with not only a school, but built in scenarios too, all specified for the job that your char is best suited for. This is an expedition from Earth, and it is known that the planet that they are being sent to is without sentient life. As such, none of them should know any combat, or weapons training in their abilities, besides rudimentary Boy Scout stuff for the ones trained as Adventurers. You can make up any job you feel appropriate for such a mission, just judge for yourselves the importance of such a job in this environment.

The ship, The Element, is nearing their destination after nearly a century of travel. As such, the Rp will start when the crew awaken. All of the characters, have been on the ship since birth and spent their entire lives in stasis in virtual preparation for their specific tasks in this pioneering venture into the blackness of space. The specifics of the planet in which they are headed will be explored as we continue. Your job is the most important aspect of your character, and as such try and keep it unique, though I'll need a captain and a few adventurers; you don't need to write a bio or history, as everybody spent their lives in the same place, although you can explore what your character experienced in the virtual trainer if you wish in your character sheet:

Name: Rafaelle (RAH-FEY-UH)
Defects: Besides a tricky blind spot in his peripheral vision (joke), his mind is plagued by a mild case of Epilepsy.
Description: Lean, muscular, and pale as snow dipped in bleach, he is a good balance of intelligence and physical capability. His clothes, chosen by the scientists to fit their predicted personalities are a mix of browns and blues, polyester as the ship is fairly hot and cotton would smother. His eyes are a creamy brown and his hair a dull black.
Assigned Task: Pilot and Second in Command.
Personality: Generally reserved and quiet, a dreamer with his head in the clouds, he is only his confident and coldly calculating when in his natural place, in the cockpit.

Name:
Defects:
Description:
Assigned Task:
Personality:

Alright, that is the lowdown, lets see who's interested.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: my character
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 pm 
Shapechanger Dreamon

Name:Ember luna
Defects:she shuns light as much as possible. It is her main weakness.
Description: Ember is a repitlian-human hybrid bred to follow orders. Unlike her fellow species, when she was being formed by the scientists, they forgot to put in the gene that makes her species so submissive. Therefore, she is quite a rebel.
Assigned Task: Fighting, working in extreme dark, hot and cold climates that humans cannot survive in.
Personality: Rebelious, never tells anyone about her past. Loyal to all who earn her freindship (very few), and stubborn. The only person she knows and trusts is Rafaelle.

I look like this except with a shorter snout and deep maroon scales and large wings.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:41 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
Eh, sorry Embermoon, but I didn't really clarify. Everybody on the ship is human, and you can't be a fighter because you have nothing to fight. The planet we are going to has no sentient races, so there is no reason to have that colonial profession.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: ooopssssss
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:47 pm 
Shapechanger Dreamon

oops...sorry :oops:
ok...one sec.....I'll make a new one...
(Wont be very good...I am not used to playing humans! :P )

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: new character
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:52 pm 
Shapechanger Dreamon

Name: Ember Luna

Defects: Has diffuculty getting along and making friends with others. Is not a group worker!

Description: A tall Blonde female with grey eyes, and a large scar across her face from A piece of metal that cut her while she was working

Assigned Task: Technition. Works with all the machines.

Personality: Understands machines more than human beings. Rebelious, and hard to work with. Not a group worker/social type!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:18 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Well, you can't have a cut from working because everybody was stasis most of the whole time aboard the ship so far, but don't worry, it could happen just as the Rp opens. Good job for your first human. :wink:

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: k
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:24 pm 
Shapechanger Dreamon

alright.
Ughh.....Humans! :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 pm 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

Depends on what you believe in. I've heard that the mind can create injuries that have not occurred physically but mentally. If you can't differentiate between reality and fantasy, then what happens to you mentally will happen to you physically.

Anyways, on topic: I actually don't have an interest in joining your RPG. I am interested in reading it as it progresses, possibly joining later.

Also Embermoon, I'm not so great at making humans either. Most of my characters are feline humanoids who have never seen an RPG yet. Flege is more or less my fantasy character of the moment. As I'm interested in the possibility of different realities (including anything the mind can imagine), my current Flege can reality shift. I would have him go here but I feel I should be creative sometimes.

Tom is the answer to life.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:31 am 
Solitary Serpent

Name: Erin Taylor

Defects: slightly OCD and ADHD; the OCD is not enough to affect her work (does things in a certain order); the ADHD tends to be a problem sometimes but passes as soon as it comes

Description: 5'7", 135lbs, brown straight hair down to her shoulders, green eyes, athletic, not very curvy (for a girl), wears men's cargo pants, green shirt (somewhat form fitting but not too tight), and brown work boots. (boyish, I know)

Assigned Task: Botanist

Personality: She tends to stay away from large groups. Erin is a very nice and caring woman if you ever take the time to get to know her. She stands up for what she believes in. She is tough and assertive. Sometimes aggressive. She believes that women are as good as men.

I'm not really sure what job she should have. Embermoon took my idea. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, shouldn't Embermoon's character be younger? I thought you said late teens. . .

Last edited by Ersska on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:47 am 
Dragonfish Warrior

Well, late teens early twenties, that much doesn't really matter, as you'll find out, the biostasis chambers and the computer system itself has alot of problems, age differences because of computer error and messed up dosage would just be the tip of the iceberg. Also you should notice that the psychology of the computer is limited severely, and that I didn't say anything about her personality.

For your character, since she doesn't seem to like crowds or people depending on her, a botanist would make a good fallback, if you can't come up with anything else. But the job would be a bit narrower than that, focusing on nutrition and making plants yield more. Not grunt work, though, there is a separate job for that.

And yeah flege, I get what you're saying. Its just if the systems were working right than any self-damage would be scrubbed with nanoids to keep the patient healthy. But then again, they aren't, so that could work.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:24 pm 
Solitary Serpent

Botanist sounds good. erin is an outdoorsy, do-it-yourself girl. She's not one to mess with. What would the grunt work be?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:36 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Well, those in the section of the ship that we will be starting in are the commanders, not those selected to do menial tasks. Farming, regrettably, is considered a menial task. By that I mean tilling the land and picking the crops, mass production style. You still do a lot of hands-on stuff, but you have people under you.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:40 pm 
Solitary Serpent

I'll take botanist. It should be interesting. . .

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:24 pm 
Cererean Princess

Name: Luna

Age: 15 (I know it's meant to be *late* teens, but the computers messed up)

Defects: Has trouble distinguishing between fact and fiction. A few niggling problems with her memory.

Description: Brown eyes, long dark brown hair, 5'8, slim but not stick thin,

Assigned Task: Geneticist and (what do you call the job where they grow embryos in an artificial womb?) Some rudimentry basics in Physics and basic pilot training.

Personality: Not very patient with people, can't understand them (can understand the genetic instructions to make them though!) A bit manipulating, oky, very manipulating. Flirts with guys then laughs at them.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:12 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Alright, so now we have a geneticist (I don't know what that'd be called either... :roll: A clonist? Applied Bio-Geneticist?), botanist, pilot, and mechanic. I don't think we're missing any of the colonial positions, just leadership ones, but those aren't really necessary at this point.

So, I guess I'll go ahead and start this thing. Anyone not already in who gets interested can join.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:12 am 
Solitary Serpent

Sadly, you seem to be the only guy. . .

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:40 am 
Solitary Serpent

Yay! It's nice to see that you're back, jish. I hope this thing gets rolling soon. I would make a post, but poor Erin has suffered from oxygen deprivation, blunt force trauma to the head, and massive blood loss. She is still alive though. But I highly doubt a person in that condition would simply jump up and take off on her own. So, it is my plan to at least wait until Rafaelle or someone gets her to the medical ward. So. . .yeh.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:17 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Well, without a doctor on board that would be next to useless. The easiest and best thing to do would be to stick you in one of the sleeping pods and crank up the nanoids. At this point its regulations, smellgulations. I can't really do it either, Raf is kind of having an emo moment.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:44 pm 
Cererean Princess

Luna's got into a conversation with Jhosin, so I'm waiting for you to make Jhosin reply before I can do something. Roundabout.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:40 pm 
Solitary Serpent

Well, I'm at least waiting til something is done. Like I said, I doubt that she would wake up on her own. But if you want me to do something about it myself, just let me know and I will.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:24 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Well I didn't plan on keeping Jhosin around. Sure, he'll appear here and there when we need him, but I really laid out alot of stuff in my last post that you should reply to, DragonRider. Jhosin and the Ambassidor he mention will report back when they have a chance(i.e. there is a slowing point in the story.) You really shouldn't get hung up on NPCs, especially if they've left the setting.

And I'd really like everybody participating again, so I'll edit in some Adventurer grunts to get you back on your feet Errska. :wink: You're welcome.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:36 am 
Solitary Serpent

Thank you very much, sir! And Ersska has only one 'r'. :wink:

I just noticed you called Erin angel! Ooh la la! Crushing, are we? Just kidding!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:34 am 
Godsin Queen

Still need a doc?

I'm a girl who doesn't mind playing as guys so you won't be the only one on the ship if I'm allowed to join. lol

He was a bit late comeing out of stasis, so the crew took him for dead.

Name: Leon Bashkavell (Lee-on, Bass-Ka-Vail)

Height: 5.8

less attacktive quirks:tends to be a bit shy towards the opposing sex may even come across as a bit slow at first, and secreatly fears the computer's personalaty.

Jobs: Ship Doctor, and tracking expert

Description: He's yur average pretty boy, shaggy but well-kept jet black hair. Emerald green eyes, boyish face, fit but not very mascular, and wears a blue doctor's uniform.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:26 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Yeah, I suppose the computer might have showed your vitals as flat-lined. Oh, yeah, and since we bypassed the computer we essentially shut it down. So you were in the blackness of your own head for a while. Especially if your room was still unpressurized. So, yeah, accepted, come on in!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:12 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

Name: Thrace Gorbeel

Height: 6``

Defects: Mostly physical, has no shoulder blades. Bottom ribs are missing. Is prone to a few minutes of intense depression for no apparent reason.

Jobs: (is it ok too play as another Techie person?) If not then he's a physicist (sp?)

Description: Tall, leans toward acrobatics, as mentioned he has no shoulderblades allowing him to bend his arms wierdly. Wears, loose black combats, green shirt and dirty off-white trainers. Brown eyes. Lank, shoulder-length slightly greasy hair.

Personality: Is not particularly inclined towards group work but doesn't shun it and can work perfectly well in a team. He is of a fairly neutral disposition. Can be rather short with others when stressed or annoyed.

I hope this is ok (and that the RP is still open to new members :))

Offline Profile