Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 am

Post subject: Tempest's Arworks #018 (Mother and young ones foraging)
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a little something. While I don't think naked lizards should offend anyone, please note that this drawing

:warning: Contains nudity :warning:

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are unclothed but the thing is, while clothes can make a drawing more interesting and certainly non-offensive to anyone, it also tends to hide structural flaws. So I wanted to draw something that get back to the basics and from a back perspective since I rarely draw my characters that way.

At any rate, those little gecko-like critters (they do have big eyes, it's not just the style and no they don't stick to glass) are supposed to live into a world of mine. Well everything I draw finds more or less a place in there so, these little lizards (currently unnamed) live in southern area of that world. The principal resources of that place is jungles, forests, swamps and [emphasis]mosquitoes[/emphasis]. So races without scaly skin (human, elves, dwarves, etc) or some sort of natural/magical protection (or a lifetime supply of DEET) don't really want/like to live there.

These creatures have their own language, customs and everything; they are generally of good company and rarely seeking troubles but they are not really philosophers or intellectuals. They eat pretty much anything they can get their hands on but feed mostly on giant worms/bugs. They don't eat dead meat (eating such food in a warm climate is a sure way to get sick, but they don't really make the difference if the said meat was properly preserved). They usually don't wear clothes unless it's decorative and they are creatures a bit in-between warm-blooded (endotherm) and cold-blooded (ectotherm) with a body temperature ranging from 30 to 40'C (poikilotherm). Above that range they die, below that they fall into torpor and eventually die... after a while. So they tend to like the sun. Adults stand about 4 1/2 feet high with a 5 feet tail. There is little difference between the two sexes but for humans they all look female (for example despite its appearance, the small one in the middle could be either male or female).

Humans love them because they eat the giant bugs that devastate crops but hate them because they think that the said crops are an all-you-can-eat buffet (since they eat much less than the bugs and unlike the bugs, they don't destroy the crops/trees, it would be reasonable to say it's a small price to pay but no; people tend to be irrational and a world where everyone sings Kumbaya wouldn't be as fun).

Usually, their coloration varies from brownish-orange to green with black areas. Odd colors can pop up from time to time, like red or blue which can make them appear vaguely draconic despite being a lot less dangerous and lacking their too frequent "god complex".

I don't have a clear story for those three except maybe that they live in a clan-like village more to the north and are used to see humans and other human-like people. Shown as foraging fruits. I planned to put an angry farmer (they were supposed to steal fruits and ignoring the giant worms that are killing the tree on the right) in there trying to shoo them away but the drawing was getting a bit crowded. It would have been a way to highlight the fact that a creature doesn't always eat what they are supposed to. After all, a treat is a treat no matter where they find it. I will eventually find a proper story for them so for now their only task is to look cute (are they?).

Technical details:
Done with my usual 0.3mm pencil.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Tempest's Arworks #018 (Mother and young ones foraging)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:31 am 
Wandering Dragon

Thats really good Tempest! Nice and neat. Have you thought of adding colour to it, or are you not confident with colour like me? lol

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Tempest's Arworks #018 (Mother and young ones foraging)
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you like it :)

And I am not really good with colors but on the other hand, this is also why I avoided shading my recent drawings; I want to move to the next step and be a little more proficient with Photoshop. But I will have to experiment a little more with this.

Offline Profile