Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 pm

Post subject: My most recent drawings!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:48 am 
Wandering Dragon

Sorry that they are so big :shock: , I tried shrinking them in Photobucket but they still came out this big :shock:

The scales on this one took me ages! The smudge at the bottom has been removed now though...lol

This is the best Chinese dragon ive ever done! Took me nearly an hour to get the head right.

Last edited by Blue Tiger on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:56 am 
Cererean Princess

Those are great drawings!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:59 am 
Godsin Queen

yeah, I've found that the nose is particularly hard to do.

Now don't get me wrong I think your pics are awsome, but might I sugest a lot more shading. I know it might be scary especialy after all the time and effort you put into it, but sometimes you just have to go for it.

If it still seems too scary, print a copy of the scetch from the computer onto a piece of scetch paper and pratice your shading first.

If yur not sure how to go about it check out how famous artist shade their pictures. Study how they shade the muscle contures, and how they show the light hitting whatever their drawing.

Also when drawing the wings on a dragon it may help to study the wings on a bat since they're so similar. I know you can't just snatch a bat out of the air and take a look at it's wings, but most libraries have really good animal books with pictures to go by.

I hope I'm not sounding like an bleep. :lol:

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:16 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Lol :oops: :D Thanks everyone.... well, shading is actually my strong point, i didnt do much shading due to the fact that it may have ruined the effect of the scales. And I always try to keep to the bat like wings for dragons, nothing else really works...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm 
Silver sorceress

Location: on the back of a black dragon laughing as the world dies below me
can you see the jealousy of your skill etched across my face...if you cant trust me, it's there.

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:00 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

Hmm... I really enjoy the main forms, but the limbs are awkward, particularly in the thigh/biceps. Like large Popeye arms tacked onto a dragon.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm 
Godsin Queen

see! yur too scared to do it!

but you know how much cooler it'd look if you just tried.

I tripple-dog-dare ya.

And I think the arms are ok, they fit the dragons they were put on. Showing off muscle isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, ya know. Most average everyday people can't do that good with stick people, and I'm not making this up.

constucktive critacisom ( excuse my spelling please) is always good, I agree, but without any advice to go with it it's just downing the artist.

If you do want to improve on those arms however, I think I know how to help.
It looks like yur useing the basic skelleton form to draw your pictures am i right? If so, make the circle for the shoulder slightly bigger than you useually would, the bigger the figure you put it on the bigger you should make it. The ovals for the forearm and the upper arm should be slightly more curved, but not so much they just look like humps. Always make sure you only make slight changes to the way you would normaly draw, that way it still looks natural. Last but not least the circles for the joints should stay about the same size as usual.

This next bit has nothing to do with yur drawing really but I think it's a good thing to remember when doing any art project. Sometimes imprefections are more beautiful than perfections could ever be. Like a rose thats slightly off-center.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:01 pm 
Wandering Dragon

You are totally right Pandora, I do use the basic skelleton structure, I try to make the limbs look as real as possible, but they are very hard, I hate doing feet, and hands, soooo difficult!
I shaded every scale on the first dragon! Individually! Took me AGES, but the effect was great.
And your right about imperfections, ...suposedly Japanese (i think) when they make pots or anything, they will distort it if they think it looks too perfect, to make it more interesting!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:57 am 
Godsin Queen

great! I'd love to see it!

and we have soemthing in common, I'm horrible with hands,feet,claws,ect.

getting the fingers or the toes just right drives me insane sometimes. I'm horrible at trees too, I just haven't figured out how branches work. Too, often I'm tempted to just do them pre-school style, with the trunk and the bushy top. lol

But, it's like the old saying goes,practice makes perfect. You'll never get better if you don't try.

That little saying has gotten me though a lot.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:19 am 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

Unfortunately I can't see the first one, but the chinese one looks really nice ideed. Remainds me of a draco orientalis , like Lung Wei, one chinese dragon.
Great job!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:20 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Thanks for the comments :D Yes, I think I accidentally deleted the first one from photobucket, ill have to re add it...

Offline Profile