Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:43 am

Post subject: What's correct and what isn't
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:24 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

This thread is for those who believe dragons are/were real animals.
I would love to be a dracologist, the problem would be that I don't know how find accurate information. I was wondering if there are any technichs (real bad sp) for extracting fact from fiction. I go to so many stinking sites that say "Sure, dragons are/were real." but either they're much different from other sites I'v looked at, or they have unrealistic information. (ie, they talk about magic, dragons have charecteristics that would not be possible scientificaly) which then makes me doubt all the info on the site. Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:39 pm 
Lone Wolf

try this old site it has some real facts
www.everythingdragons.com

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:37 pm 
Isitarian Legend

I seriously doubt it has 'real' facts. I also seriously doubt any human on this earth has seen a real, living dragon. Illusion, yes. Dream, yes. In solid form, probably not.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:38 pm 
Lone Wolf

i said some, since i just have those as real facts in my opinion thats all

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:30 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

The truth is dragons are in our minds. As for them being "real" I will have to say no. But we are all here at this board and have openly looked for dragon information. So we keep the myth alive in stories and the debates posted here and other areas of the web (and even world). So if you want to see a dragon walking down your street or go and see the bones of a dragon, I am sad to say it will not happen. But keep up your reading and understand the history and myths of the dragon. From St. George slaying the dragon to the bloodline of the emperor of China, dragons fit into our minds and our bodies. I would suggest looking for the easy points of history (as the examples above) and read up on them. And in time you will connect to other stories of dragons and you may try to connect the history and the connections of how they somehow fit together.

And as of normal my link posted to read up on information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons

I hope I helped

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: What's correct and what isn't
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:11 am 
The Corruption

*DayDream* wrote:
This thread is for those who believe dragons are/were real animals.
I would love to be a dracologist, the problem would be that I don't know how find accurate information. I was wondering if there are any technichs (real bad sp) for extracting fact from fiction. I go to so many stinking sites that say "Sure, dragons are/were real." but either they're much different from other sites I'v looked at, or they have unrealistic information. (ie, they talk about magic, dragons have charecteristics that would not be possible scientificaly) which then makes me doubt all the info on the site. Does anyone have any ideas?

First, apply common sense. Which you seem to have been doing.
Next, take physics and chemistry. This will help you sort out the stuff that seems scientific in language but is really just bs.

So far dragons exist only in imagination. In Asia they were based off rivers. In Europe they were based off dinosaur bones, Satan, and evil. No matter where you go, dragons represent power. They also represent anger, protection, wisdom, and the divine varying from where you go.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 pm 
Isitarian Legend

Exactly my point.

A dragon in solid form, that you can physically touch, is probably never going to happen. Unless it's genetically engineered....

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:35 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Location: Canada and Antarctica.(What the hey, their both cold, right?
And yet every culture in the world has/had myths about dragons, yet they shared no contact or even knew each other existed.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:17 pm 
The Corruption

Quote:
And yet every culture in the world has/had myths about dragons, yet they shared no contact or even knew each other existed.

And yet the dragons of every culture are completely different. Except for the cultures that DID have contact, like China, Korea and Japan and the European countries that were united by the Bible, in which there's a dragon.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:39 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

But you can't expect every dragon of every culture to be the same, can you?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 pm 
The Corruption

Dragon_Nils wrote:
But you can't expect every dragon of every culture to be the same, can you?

If a dragon is a myth/legend, no. If a dragon is a real living creature, yes. And keep in mind that the Eastern dragons are made out of the body parts of nine different animals, with nine being the Buddhist lucky number. And that the number of toes as you go from China to Korea to Japan decreases.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: What's correct and what isn't
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
... the problem would be that I don't know how find accurate information. I was wondering if there are any technichs (real bad sp) for extracting fact from fiction.

Yes, there are indeed many techniques to tell the difference between truth and statements that have no basis in reality.

Ask yourself if that's the only way it can happen. Could something else have caused that which is being overlooked? Is it more complicated than the way it is being presented? And always remember, a fundamental principle of logic is that when one makes an assertion it is their sole responsibility to prove that the assertion is true. Whoever is hearing the proposition has no logical burden.

As such, if someone say "Dragons are as large as a football field", then s/he should explain how this creature could exist. Beware of simple arguments like "lung filled with lighter than air gas make it possible" (how many balloons filled with helium would you need to just lost 20 lbs?). If the person doesn't explain then the claim has no value at all and it's better to be too cautious in accepting something as true than the opposite.

Also, while knowledge is useful (as always), I personally don't think it's something bullets-proof against a good debater. For example, someone saying "Since you cannot prove that ghosts do not exist, they must exist" (Appeal to ignorance) or "We shouldn't allow stem cells and genetic research because this will result in eugenism. It will lead to human modifications and results in a society were the have will rule supreme on the have-not" (Slippery slope). A good debater could see the logical flaw in such argument even if s/he has very little knowledge on the subject. A debater may not know exactly what is the right answer, but s/he know for sure that the other person is using fallacies to prove his/her point (and in turn, this is an evidence that the person is trying to ram down a personal opinion down your throat).

This is something you can learn in a philosophy/debate class. Reading about various scientific fields coupled with a basic knowledge in debate (in order to help you recognize and identify fallacies) and you will have all what is needed to tell the facts from fiction.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:35 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Hicksville, U.S.A., Earth, Rotating Sol in the Milky Way Galaxy, the northern quadrant of space...
The true reason every culture has a dragon in one form or other, is because (and I'm going to get argued with beyond belief) every culture started out as one culture at one time or other...

Early man saw lightning, couldn't explain this "flying fire", and blamed it on these strange, flying lizard things...

I know we wish it to be the later, but in fact, any dragon on Earth now either hails from another planet or has ancestory there...

*insert disagreements here*

Last edited by Firuweata on Sun May 14, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:39 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

This makes sense.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:18 pm 
Lone Wolf

no disagreement here

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:16 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

Dragons r not real, they r totall fictional and exist only in the mind

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:26 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

So, my friend, what is wrong with that? As in my other post I agree with you that dragons are not a living creature. But that changes nothing for me. I have loved dragons for many years, and through stories and RPGs I have seen dragons in many worlds and even interacted with them.

And, my friend, it is "are".

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:23 pm 

Location: Hicksville, U.S.A., Earth, Rotating Sol in the Milky Way Galaxy, the northern quadrant of space...
I just realised...You live in reality???

I thought that place was just a myth... :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:03 am 
The Corruption

^lollollol :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: SuperNatural World
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:23 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

the supernatural world is cloak from humans so we can live in peace but some times people can see or think they see supernatural beings. thats why some see vampires,werewolfs and so on and some don't. in this case there are not hardly any Dragons left in the world only 2 most died because of the bible saying their evil.

if you have any questions just email me at my mail.

plus i know a company that dells with supernatural stuff.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:33 pm 

Look, the bible's all good and stuff, but it is wrong...

Keep in mind, this was written by men, and most people in those days followed mob psychology, and it was a popular belief to say dragons were evil...

Again, keep in mind that the bible is flawed. It does give us a good message (Do unto otherf af you would want done on yourfelf), but it is not entirely correct...

As for the supernatural, it is understood that ghosts could just be naturally occuring holograms. Holograms being anything reflected onto a surface of a lesser dimension. In this case, it's the nth-1 (n being the supernatural entities' dimension) that these holograms can be seen. We see these entities not because of a traumatic experience, but because of randomly occuring, natural holograms...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:10 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

If this is true... How do people know how to name them and sometimes a supernatural being may interact with humans.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:45 am 
The Corruption

Dragon_Nils wrote:
If this is true... How do people know how to name them and sometimes a supernatural being may interact with humans.

In my opinion, ghosts are just memories that get confused by our brains, especially during times of loniless and grief. If this is so, then because they are based off of people we recall our brains calculate how they would respond and interact with us. Therefore we can talk to them like we would any normal human being.

As for naming, here's what happens. Someone experiences this and calls it a ghost. Another someone experiences something similar but isn't sure what it is. Well the two folks meet either indirectly or directly and since person 1's description was pretty close to person 2's and they called theirs a ghost, person 2 assumes their experience was a ghost as well.[/i]

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:54 pm 

There are some more theories...

Most of the time, ghosts are seen by those who want to see them. They may think they saw that transparent woman clothed in white, while, in all reality, it was just their overactive imagination...

Another is that ghosts are just dents in reality, where a person who did a repetitive task over and over in life, can be seen doing it after they died. It's not their soul, but just where reality warped itself into that image of the person being the norm...

Another is that Earth is Pergratory, but, that's just me...(Catholicism)

Perhaps ghosts DO inhabit the Earth and are all around. Then why can only a few see them and the rest can't? This goes back to what I was saying a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away)about the brain censoring some things from what we see and leaving us with what we actually see...

If something messed up with the part of the brain that censors things (a traumatic experience, perhaps?), then what the brain thinks as hallucinations will actually not be filtered through. Ghosts are one of the things that the brain thinks are merely hallucinations, and so, filters them out normally...

However, every once in a while, it will slip up, and allow that being to percieve the world without this censorship. This being might see ghosts, but they are also prone to see many things that aren't really there, like hallucinations...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:41 pm 
G.E.E.K.

here's y theory (if you haven't read the lightning thief you probably will get lost), in the above mentioned book the greek gods exist and only half- or demi-gods can see them as well as monsters. well he reason why normal people can't see them is their minds have been tought that such creatures don't exist so long that their minds rearange what they actually see to fit their version of reality, so if a person saw a huge three headed dog, such as Cerberus, walking down the road, their minds might see a huge semi going down the road, sound and all, while thir eyes actually see the huge dog with large ear-splitting slams when the beasts feet hit the ground.

That is why humans don't see dragons , ghosts, and other supernatural objects. If you want a better description of this "effect" read the book mentioned above.

Offline Profile