Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:51 am

Post subject: Dragons in legends
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:05 pm 
Dragons have become one of the most popualr fantasy beasts of all time but you have got to wonder where the legends about dragons and thier slayers come from. Fact or fiction? If you know any interesting myths please share them. One of my favourite legends is the story of the red and white dragons in Wales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:32 am 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Hicksville, U.S.A., Earth, Rotating Sol in the Milky Way Galaxy, the northern quadrant of space...
I like the ones from my home star system, Giblitia...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:32 pm 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

right now im watching Quest for Dragons on the History Channel, they're talking about dragons from Greece, Rome, China, and other cultures, including reports of real dragons in Europe in the middle ages.
i like the storys of dragons from that time, like Beowulf, and the ones with Lancelot. Very interesting that during the middle ages the Catholic church taught about and said Dragons exist, but said they were evil.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:27 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
We humans fear what we do not understand; exept for the few who accept what they see and live thier lives by it :read:

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:37 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

I would say both "fact" and fiction? Someone like St. George may have killed something. It may have been a dragon or it may have just been a large lizard or crocodile. But also the use of 'dragons' was a way of giving a name to the old pagan ways and what was wrong with the world. So to be a 'knight of Crist' you would need to kill a 'dragon' to help cleanse the world of the old ways.

And most other legends have the same idea. The society sees the dragon in a sect way. And then higher members of the society find ways to interact with the dragon is some way. And who is to question them? When the emperor of China says he is related to a dragon, would one of the pesants say 'no you are not'.

And now we have a mix of the different ways to see dragons, and some new ones with the number of great writers out there. So dragons now have the "better" acts of the dragons from around the world. So other than seeing a dragon as good like the asian dragons, but the shape and the breathing fire of the european ones. And more mixes from that.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:42 pm 
Chorkant Dreth
Chorkant Dreth

i think it may all have to do with how ur culter sees and reacts to a dragon influences people. i know i am roman cathlic and in the religious teaching dragons are evil and servents of saten. but i feel diffrently only because my mothers side of the family is witches and dragons mixed. so i see that some times when ur told to think for urself it goes against ur religion. and that is a large part of what dragons teach. then as a witch i know the church teaches that the only one who should have power is god while a witches power is a blessing from god to protect and help other humnans.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Around 5000 B.C. when two tribes (the Sumerians and the Akkadians) settled in Mesopotamia and developped cities, there was story telling that before the creation of the world, there was only Tiamat, the dragon goddess and her consort Apsu.

The myth says that Apsu and Tiamat gave birth to the gods. The gods, being children, were noisy and quarrelsome - so much that Apsu decided the only way to get some peace and quiet was to kill them. However, Ea caught wind of the plan and made a pre-emptive strike; he puts Apsu to sleep and then slayed him.

Tiamat was upset and she had another batch of monster children and together they attacked the gods. Marduk, the leader of the gods, faced Tiamat single-handedly and slew her after an epic battle. The monsters promptly fled, the gods assumed custody right over the universe and Marduk became the gods' king. Marduk then created mankind to serve as his own personal slave force.

In this story, Tiamat doesn't breathe fire, guard treasure or distress damsels but it's still something interesting to read about. I think it's the first mention of a dragon in human history.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:32 pm 
Silver sorceress

Location: on the back of a black dragon laughing as the world dies below me
niño de los dragones wrote:
i think it may all have to do with how ur culter sees and reacts to a dragon influences people. i know i am roman cathlic and in the religious teaching dragons are evil and servents of saten. but i feel diffrently only because my mothers side of the family is witches and dragons mixed. so i see that some times when ur told to think for urself it goes against ur religion. and that is a large part of what dragons teach. then as a witch i know the church teaches that the only one who should have power is god while a witches power is a blessing from god to protect and help other humnans.

u think u could type it any color but yellow its kinda hgard to read

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 pm 

Location: Hicksville, U.S.A., Earth, Rotating Sol in the Milky Way Galaxy, the northern quadrant of space...
Yeah, and how do you type in color, anyway...

'Art thou' a witch???

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:07 pm 
Silver sorceress

if nino was a witch im sure that there would be better ways on getting coloured words than going tofont colour dont u think?

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:43 pm 

No, because the witch theory is more interesting and will keep me occupied longer...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:58 pm 
Silver sorceress

2 true 2 true
dost thou wish to become a witch since thou asked?

or is that part of ur boredom?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:01 am 

No, I don't wishith it. However, I did cause the Salem witch trials to start...

See, I was playing with sodium and water, and I caught all the fields on fire, one thing lead to another, and 20 were crucified for being strange...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:22 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
Yup Firefly episode #5 SAFE "They will live among the people you will know them by their crafts... Thou will not suffer a witch to live!!"-- Hill People school teacher

FireFly Rocks!!!!

Go Serenity Go-Go Serenity!!!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:59 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Firuweata wrote:
No, I don't wishith it. However, I did cause the Salem witch trials to start...

See, I was playing with sodium and water, and I caught all the fields on fire, one thing lead to another, and 20 were crucified for being strange...

Reread the history on that. It was a bunch of girls faking being cursed, and a lot of forced confessions. No burning fields at all.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:53 pm 
Silver sorceress

yeah i saw a movie on that u could so tell that they were faking it

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:16 pm 

Yeah, I know. But what do you think got people scared of witches in the first place? They had been scared of witches at first because of me, but because of those girls, they started the witch trials...

I also read an account where they weren't faking it, but had actually been having hallucinations because of a fungus they ate in the grain...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:27 pm 
Silver sorceress

eeeewwww so nasty i would definetly not want to live in that time way too many germs and diseases that couldnt have been cured back then

i feel sorry for some of the people that were hung for being witches and were actually innocent

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:47 pm 

And I'm sure that people in the year 2307 feel sorry for us...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:50 pm 
Silver sorceress

im sure the people in 2009 will feel sorry for us having to deal with bush and all......its kinda sad thinking that some people in the future will have better lives than us just because they didnt have to deal with bush

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:53 pm 

When I marched in the Inaugrial Parade, I saw him in person. His head is twice as big as it appears on TV.

He looks like a friggin bobble head...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:56 pm 
Silver sorceress

lol

thats great!

why did u march in a parade? band or something?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:59 pm 

Yeah. It was friggin freezing. Half the band got sick, (not me!!!), they put the sick kids on OUR bus without taking some off ours and putting some on theirs...

I guess patriotic spirit isn't what it used to be...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:02 pm 
Silver sorceress

i guess not

i wouldnt want to be stuck in a bus with a ton of sick kids either if i were u

thats would be so gross

in a way i pity u,....but sadly in a way i dont i dont get it though?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:04 pm 

That was way back when in the year 2005 :shock: ...

Offline Profile