Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Post subject: English Dragons...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:31 am 
Wanderer
Wanderer

Hello there, I found this site by search bar and was wondering if any here could help me with something.
I'm interested in early English (Anglo Saxon) history and the White Dragon keeps coming up. Apparently it was flown by the English in opposition to the more famous Red Dragon of the British (Welsh) and sometimes the English used a Golden Dragon also. On the Bayeaux Tapestry after 1066, King Harold is seen with a fallen Golden Dragon banner and also another Dragon banner still flying. It was also documented by other middle-age historians that the English flew Dragon banners. The first reference to it appears to be the Welsh monk Nennius in the 8th century who talks of the White English Dragon overthrowing the Welsh Red Dragon, representing the Anglo Saxon conquest of this island (or most of it). This tale is repeated by Geofreffy of Monmouth although he has the Red Dragon winning the land back. Anyhow it is from these tales we also get the King Arthur/Merlin legends. After 1066, a new ruling elite destroyed much of our English history which we are only starting to rediscover again in the 21st centruy (St George the Dragon slayer was made patron saint of England by the Normans - coincidence?) Now the White Dragin symbol of ancient England is making a comeback with varoius flags and clothing depicting it. Here's a couple of links for more info
http://www.wearetheenglish.com/flag_whi ... reinfo.htm
http://www.whitedragonflagofengland.com/
Anyway, thanks for reading and if anyone has anything to add or share with regards to English or Germanic/Northen European Dragons then please let me know. Cheers.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: English Dragons...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 pm 
Cererean Princess

Welcome, Engliscman. Have a cookie.

I don't have anything particular to share about the white dragon, though. It's good to know that the actual *English* didn't celebrate a dragon slayer, rather it was foisted upon them by the French.

I'm Anglo-Celtic though - does that mean by dragon ought to be a light red? ;)

Offline Profile