Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 am

Post subject: (Re)Engineering Wyverns/Dragons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 am 
Cererean Princess

Ahem. Attention, all Bioalchemists. Dragons - or Wyverns, if you choose to call them that - if they ever existed, are now extinct. I can see two ways, short of finding a pure genetic sample, in which this situation can be reversed, involving genetic engineering.

1st method: use a Lizard template, such as those of the genus Draco. We'd have to modify them for actual flight, rather than merely gliding - perhaps by attaching the front of back legs to the wing, so that they can flap. It may be possible to modify the developmental pathway so that they become 6 limbed, and use one of the pairs for the wings, so that they will retain both fore and hind legs. If feasible, this would be the preferred route. Size is an optional extra - in order to market them as pets, it would be best that they remain small.

2nd method: use a bird template, such as a crow. This would offer the prospect of immediate enhanced intelligence over using a lizard template, at the expense of a long series of modifications. First, we'd probably want to modify them to have teeth, rather than beaks. Secondly, we'd alter the genes responsible for the formation of feathers, so that they'd develop as scales instead.

Then, once we have our Dragonets, we can get to work on the size issue. For this, it would probably be best to try the 2nd method, given that the flight adaptations required are already present in most cases, and where they aren't, can be engineered in easier. Then, once we have large Wyverns...

We shall be Masters of the Skies.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: (Re)Engineering Wyverns/Dragons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:38 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Oddly enough they are somewhat on that way. In trying to see if birds are connected to dinosaurs they have been working on chicken genes. And have been able to activate the "teeth gene" and and have chickens grow teeth. They are also trying to grow a long tail.
It can be done, but it will take a lot of work.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jack_horner_bu ... icken.html

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 am 
Cererean Princess

Ah, yes, the tail. I forgot about that step. It's a crucial part.

I can see such creatures being developed as exotic pets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm 
G.E.E.K.

Thing is, with both cases, there is a problem. The lizard methad you have to teach them to fly when they finally sprout wings.
The bird method will need to alter the wing structure and skeleton, as well as re-teach them to fly. The feathers on the wing help them to fly just as well as anything else, replace them with scales and you'll be changing countless years of evolution.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:05 pm 
Cererean Princess

Granted, that will be a problem. I wonder whether evolution can be relied upon to sort this out within a few generations? Or perhaps, if the feathers can be tricked into turning into scales instead, the wing scales will be appropriate for flight?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:11 pm 
Cererean Princess

Apparently, the feathers might be turned into scales quite easily. It's entirely possible only a few genes control the entire process.

Combine this with turning the beak into teeth, and apply this to a suitable bird - I like Sparrowhawks, but Crows are more intelligent - give it a tail...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
You still wouldn't have the bit about breathing fire which is so commonly associated with dragons... but if these dragonets are being marketed as house pets that necessarily wouldn't be a bad thing. Personally I'd choose a raven as the base as I believe they are even more intelligent and partly out of preference and size difference. It would leave more space to tamper with resulting in a larger variety.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:53 pm 
Cererean Princess

Hmmm, a Raven sounds good. They're omnivorous, so changing them on to a proper Dragon diet won't be that much of a job...

Intelligent, big, and meat eating. Yep, they fit the bill for a base animal. :p

Offline Profile