Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:53 am

Post subject: Island Dwarfing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:57 am 
Cererean Princess

If dragons are still alive then they will probably be too small to ride because of Island dwarfing.

Note: I merged the two Island Dwarfing threads seeing the former one had some movement to it and the new one is starting out nicely.VH42

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:01 pm 
Silver sorceress

Location: on the back of a black dragon laughing as the world dies below me
would you like to go into a morei ndepth explanation on that for those who have no idea what you just said?

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:05 pm 
Cererean Princess

Island Dwarfing is when a large species gets trapped on an island and get evolve smaller because there is less food. Dragons would have probably been forced onto remote Islands by humans. On those islands they would have downsized.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:46 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Oh, now I understand, but dragons could easily fly back to the main land... if you are talkin about flying dragons, which i suppose you are as you said "to ride". Yeah, they wouldnt stay on an island...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:47 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Oh, now I understand, but dragons could easily fly back to the main land... if you are talkin about flying dragons, which i suppose you are as you said "to ride". Yeah, they wouldnt stay on an island...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:26 am 
Cererean Princess

If they flew back to the mainland they would be killed.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:38 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

The idea is sound. But I see them as more of an semi-aquatic creature. Like the iguanas on the Galápagos islands. They live on the land but dive into the water to eat. Which will explain the less flying, being their wings would become less useful in the air. And would work for line the penguin’s wings assisting with swimming.

But still I feel like they would be 3 to 4 meters long. But that is the size I expect they will all be.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:14 am 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

Location: Somewhere with one bare foot in reality, the other in mystery, and my head in the clouds.
i agree... they would be tiny if they really existed today. To adapt they would have to evolve to become smaller. But who knows? If someone saw an actual dragon it would be immediately be dismissed by our minds, thinking we mistook a bird or such, because we know dragons as a myth. Only those with a incredibly flexible mind could see a dragon.

http://DragonsMaiden.bebo.com

:D Thanks! :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:22 am 
if dragons got smaller and evolved in diffrent ways those flying ants we see all the time could be dragons for all we know :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:36 am 
The Endless Prophet

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this one. I think I stand very far away from New York, though. Very far indeed.

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:51 pm 
Neophyte Hatchling
Neophyte Hatchling

Location: On my blue SkyKing's back, the despaired moon showing our silouette against the ranks of dragons
Dragons are able to conceal themselves up in the mountains, there, they can grow

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:45 am 
The Endless Prophet

Mayhap so, mayhap... not so. Perhaps time will tell. Perhaps it will not. Maybe, time will kill us all dead before it tells whatever we left after ourselves. Who knows, save the known?

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Insular Dwarfism - effects on Dragons
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:41 am 
Cererean Princess

Wikipedia article here

This would seem to suggest the possibility of Dwarf Dragons, which could have shrunk due to either hunting or lack of food. How far could they have shrunk? To the size of birds, perhaps, looking like the fire lizards of Pern?

Alternatively, they could be the original form of the Dragons, with the bigger ones evolving later. It is doubtful that there would be much sapience there, perhaps as much as a dogs.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Insular Dwarfism - effects on Dragons
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:19 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Hmm, interesting. Well, it depends on how evolution saw the dragons size as an advantage. If they were really big, surely that could insure their survival as top predators? But then, evolution may have chosen a smaller size as better suited to the environment. Smaller size may mean quicker. Im not exactly sure what environmental factor would make it better for them to be small...but.
The size of the dragonets in Pern would probably be more practical, but remember the fire breath. That would have been more effective coming from a larger creature.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Insular Dwarfism - effects on Dragons
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:24 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Sounds logical, but I still don't think they would be that large anyway. The dog size sounds right. Maybe they have a bite like the Kimoto dragon. And the pray only needs a single bite and then dies due to infection. Or the smaller dragon could be pack hunters like lions.

I am going to try something neat. And add this thread to the last one like it. Yay, it worked.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Island Dwarfing
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 am 
Cererean Princess

On an Island, it would be an advantage to be smaller. There's less prey, so a smaller dragon requiring less food has the advantage. Bigger ones would die out, and smaller would be selected for.

Of course, Dragons could have started out Fire-lizard size to start with, then grown bigger over time.

Firebreath would still be effective at that small size. There's a beetle that has a similar effect, and it's much smaller than a Fire-lizard would be. Spitting Cobras exist, as well.

Offline Profile