Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 12:07 pm

Post subject: Does anyone know any dragon movies or books?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:04 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

I can't find any Dragon movies EVER. It seems that if a movie has the word dragon in it, it's a martial arts movie. Please help.

"What these humans seem to have forgotton is that it is they who forced us to fight, not the other way around," Arock, leader of the sither team.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:56 am 
Cererean Princess

Or it's been mutilated, like Eragon.

Movies like Reign of Fire, perhaps? Although I don't like the potrayel of Dragons as evil mindless creatures.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:15 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

What's sad about that is most stories do protray Dragons as evil, mindless creatures. There are three offical classes of Dragons; Western, mid-evil types, Eastern types, and celestial, spirit types. Iv'e recently added a new class. American types. Saphirra is an american type because she really isn't an evil western dragon.

"What these humans seem to have forgotton is that it is they who forced us to fight, not the other way around," Arock, leader of the sither team.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:53 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Let me see: for movies....

1. Dragonheart (and part II)

2. Dragonslayer (I know evil dragon, but she looks great)

3. Dragon Wars (The movie is not that great, but does have the balance idea of both good and evil)

4. The Dragonlance movie (well in this the three dragons are evil (a black and two reds), but they are thinking ones. But it is rushed, an over 300 page book packed into 90 min.)

5. The 2nd D&D movie. Well only one dragon, but it is a dragon god. evil again though.)

That is all I can think of for now. I'll think on it some more.

EDIT: check this out. It has a fair list of dragon movies. A lot of them I didn't post above. (though reading through them I have seen almost all of them)

As for books:

1. Dragonlance novels (my top of the list, it gives a equal footing of both good and evil dragons and they are not mindless creatures.)

2. The Pern novels (I have only read a couple of these)

3. And the many "reference guides" out there. They are all worth a read.

Last edited by vampirehunter42 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I have a section of the website dedicated to dragons movies.

Here' some movies that made a good impression on me:
Dragonheart (1996): Obviously, few haven't heard about this one.
Evolution (2001): It has a typical western dragon near the end even if the movies isn't about them (at all).
The Flight of Dragons (1982): An old animation but the concepts in it and storyline are interesting.
Mulan (1998): The main character has an eastern dragon sidekick.
Nezha Conquers the Dragon King (1979): An old animation with evil eastern dragons.
Dragons - Destiny of Fire (2006): A recent animation... It has some good moments. The dragons in it have some anthropomorphic characteristics.
Dragon Half (1993): It has a half-dragon as main character but only two episodes were made which is a shame because there was plenty of material available to make a complete season.

Dragon movies not worth mentioning:
George and the Dragon (2004)
Pete's Dragon (1977)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:00 pm 

Yea, I was about to post that link as well.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:02 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

Thanks. By the way, the one pern novel I read pissed me off. MOST of it was about a trial I quite frankly did not care to hear about. Please tell me the other ones are better.

Iv'e seen the dragonheart movies and loved them. I think I cried when Draco died, though. I cried like my sister would if Jessy MCartny died. Im a little pathetic. I cried during the ending of the first kingdom hearts game too.

Iv'e seen Dragon Wars. The only cool part in that was when the helecopters are flying inbetween the buildings fighting the small bad guy dragons. The fight seen wasn't gory enough. Yes, I do read Stephen King/

Pete's Dragon? Are you serious? Come on, that's not a movie. That's brainwash developed by wannabe natzies as an attempt to take over the television industry

Anyways, Iv'e seen a lot of those. I'm starting to think if I want what I'm looking for, I should write it myself and let hollywood butcher it later so I can send them angry E-Mails. I think that's the way it goes.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:37 pm 

Of the Pern novels I have read, they do have a problem of doing things like that.

And check out this list from [=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_dragons]Wiki[/url]

Also look for The Hobbit when it comes out. It has Smaug, last of the dragons of Middle-Earth.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:01 pm 
Cererean Princess

What, having lots of Trials? But in the later books they skip minor issues like Democracy. Well, some try to.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:13 am 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

Good. The politicks were such a drag. And hard to understand. They were like star wars politics.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 pm 
Cererean Princess

Well, they have less. But they're an integral part to the story, so they can't really be removed without destroying the story.

Quote:
Pete's Dragon? Are you serious? Come on, that's not a movie. That's brainwash developed by wannabe natzies as an attempt to take over the television industry

How is it NAZI?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:23 pm 

vampirehunter42 wrote:
Of the Pern novels I have read, they do have a problem of doing things like that.

And check out this list from Wiki

Also look for The Hobbit when it comes out. It has Smaug, last of the dragons of Middle-Earth.

I hate when I miss things. Forgot the "url".

I just found a couple of odd ones. "The Practical Guide to Dragons" and "The Practical Guide to Dragon Riding".

It is based on the D&D dragon, and in the Dragonlance world. And "written by" a kender. (an in character joke) But they are good reads. I am finding more use out of them for gaming though.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:56 pm 
Matrix Operator

To get back on topic...

Dragonslayer sucked. They cheated and never actually came up with a way to kill the dragon, instead they had the cop out of some mage returning from the dead to blow it up.

The Sci-Fi cable TV channel has a couple of dragon movies they rerun every month or so.

-Tucker Max

Last edited by Falconer on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 am 
Site Admin

I just finished reviewing two more movies with dragons in them... In both case they play the role of villain.
The Pagemaster (1994), a relatively well done animation with a dragon that actually look credible.

Dragon Fighter (2003). It's a low budget B movie not really worth watching unless you have time to kill. But it's entertaining to see from which internet site, the pictures/drawings they show in the movies come from.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:31 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Ah, a favourite topic of mine, dragon movies. I watched Dragon Wars a week ago actually, very strange but I love the story/legend and the dragon at the end was beautiful.

The greatest dragon film ever I have to say must have been DragonHeart, and who didnt cry at the end of it?

Also, the dragons in the first Dungeons and Dragons film were pretty cool. I didnt really like the second movie, but the Ice dragon was BRILL, but they had to go and kill it!

Reign Of Fire, of course, is a must see for all dragon lovers, even if the dragons were made out to be intelligent destructive creatures and are seen as evil creatures to be vanquished. The film has the best dragon graphics ive seen in any film.

The problem with most dragon films is that they will most likely be portrayed as evil and end up getting killed.

And yes, I know what you mean about seeing the word dragon in a film and then it turns out to be some cheap martial arts film!

About books. Well, for stories I still think Eragon and the rest of the books should be a good read for anyone. But the film is a definite miss until youve read the book.

The Pern books are interesting, the first one I read was DragonsDawn, which is the first according to the time line, showing how humans got the the planet and created the dragons, it was a great book. Then I bought DragonsFlight, which was completely different and I was shocked with the huge time gap and how humans were now living in medieval times... in the future!

For a non-childish (Dragonology books. I know, they are fun but...) information book, I strongly recomend The Book Of The Dragon, by Ciruelo. It has wonderful information on their culture and legends, ways of life, anatomy, and it has tonnes of stunningly beautiful artwork by Ciruelo.

@ Tempest On the section of the site "Everything you wanted to know" There is a few pictures from ciruelo; the scales and the blue dragon eating from the tree. I was wondering how you got the two different pictures showing wing length, with the membrane attached to the body, are they two different paintings?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 am 
Site Admin

@Blue Tiger: For the wings of the blue dragon eating, the two additional drawings (with the wings connected near the shoulders/thighs) were created by yours truly using a program that looks a bit like Photoshop.

As for the how, the technique is relatively simple. I zoomed on the spot I wanted to modify then moved the lower part of the wing to the desired position (either lower or higher on the chest) and then filled the blank spots by recreating a similar wing pattern. After that, I simply copied the branch from the original drawing over the modified part.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 am 
Cererean Princess

Ah, Photoshop. I've got that somewhere.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:36 pm 
G.E.E.K.

*starts scolding, as if speaking to a child* Tempest, your getting a little off topic there. *returns to normal speech*

The Eragon movie was bad (at least the dragon was) however the books are amazing.

As to Dragon movies. Hayao Miyazaki made a movie called Spirited Away, and It has some good dragons.

Also the Broken Sky series by Chris Wooding has a few creatures strongly resembling dragons (good luck finding this series though, I've been trying for five years, and still haven't found any copies).

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:20 pm 
Matrix Operator

The Sci-Fi cable TV channel came out with a movie, Wyvern. Normally, Sci-Fi's movies are terrible, low-budget wastes of time, but this one was startlingly good, and the dragon was very well done.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:53 pm 
Cererean Princess

Quote:
Also the Broken Sky series by Chris Wooding has a few creatures strongly resembling dragons (good luck finding this series though, I've been trying for five years, and still haven't found any copies).

The first 4 came into my possesion somehow (I think I was given them by my Aunt and cousins, but I can't remember). They're quite good.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:03 am 
DragonRider wrote:
Quote:

The first 4 came into my possesion somehow (I think I was given them by my Aunt and cousins, but I can't remember). They're quite good.

I have books 2-4, and have read book 1. There are seven books in the series that I know of.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know any dragon movies or books?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 pm 
Matrix Operator

A book by Frank Peretti called "The Oath" has a dragon in it.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
A book with a friendly dragon

Eric rex and the dragon's eye (teen Novel)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 am 
Cererean Princess

A novel which has yet to be written, but has it's plot already outlined. In an excercise book at my school.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:56 am 
G.E.E.K.

I just remembered this series;
Dragons in Our Midst

It's a Christian book series. It's been a while since I last read them, so I post a link to their wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_In_Our_Midst

Offline Profile