Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:47 pm

Post subject: Need help about Dragons, Could dragons talk?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:09 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

I've been doing some research on dinosaurs, dragons, and other animals that doesn't exist any longer mention in the Bible. I do not believe in the Evolution theory so please I'm not here to argue this. For those that really believe in that Dragons where real or could still exist in small locations on earth away from civilization, I'm trying to bring some more evidence to light. At least I have to prove myself:

I like to know what myth or stories they have a dragons able to have speaking sounds? We know that the parrot can say words, perhaps other animals that I do not know about. If you know any, please enlighten me.

Also keep in mind that the Bible has mentions Dragon(s) 35 times. And serpent 53 times in the Bible. Mostly referring to a reptillian-like creature.

In Revelation 13:11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

This verse in the Bible is very interesting it mentions this symbolic beast "spake as a dragon".

Does Dragons "snuff up the wind" like this verse says:?

Jer 14:6 And the wild asses did stand in the high places, they snuffed up the wind like dragons; their eyes did fail, because [there was] no grass.

As far as understanding these creatures, apparently throughout culture and history these creatures could of been the most impressed creature. This could be why people wanted them and incredible stories grew into fairy tales over time about them?

Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

It is possible that this type of reptilian creature could of been the serpent of the Garden of Eden, this is why I need to know if there is stories that it spoke.

I look forward for someone's expertise. Thank You

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:41 pm 
Cererean Princess

Go, find one known as DraconicChronicler, for he may behold that of which you seek.

Something to bear in mind is that (human) speech requires the larynx to be the correct shape and size. This does not, however, rule out a language. Dolphins don't have a larynx like humans, yet they may still have a language.

Snuff up the wind? Judging by the comparison with wild Asses, I assume that is refering to sniffing the air. So yes, they could.

As for dragons still existing, I consider it (mournfully) doubtful.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

[mod voice]The quotes from the bible are ok, but let us try to keep this from turning into a religious discussion.[/mod voice]

On that, keep in mind we can not take all writings as a word for word context. I am not saying the above info is false, I am saying we need to look at the other meanings of the used words. Mainly the use of "dragon", remember the early christen church connected the dragon with the devil. And many of the medieval tails tell of them like that.

But to answer the question, many Asian dragons are said to speak. But they also can take the shape of humans and even breed with them. Most others are more in animals in "speech".

As DragonRider posted many animals have a type of language. A pack of wolves can "speak" to one another with the howls and other noises. While some creatures can use subsonic sounds to contact others of their type.

So I will say, if dragons were a true creature, they would have a language of some type. But would be of whatever type of sounds they can make.

But many creatures can communicate. Parrots (and some other birds) can speak and understand the use of the words they are saying. And some great apes have learned to use sign language.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm 
Perhaps if they couyld communicate it would be like the way Eustace in Dragon form communicated in Voyage of the Dawn Treader: by writing on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:18 pm 
Matrix Operator

The words for "serpent" and "dragon" are very similar, often interchangeable. Also, if you are interested in further biblical references to dragons check out Job 41, especialy the verses refering to Leviathan's ability to breathe fire.*
Also, given the TOTAL LACK OF BODIES to autopsy, no one can give a definative account of dragons' larynxes or lack thereof.

* I did several studies in the original Hebrew- the verses really do refer to fire.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:49 pm 
G.E.E.K.

As to other animals that speak, Ravens have been known to mimic words. (Edgar Allan Poe used this little known fact in his poem The Raven)

As to dragons speaking. Most research dictates that they were not intelligent enough to speak in any language, if you look at the way they are designed that is. However, if you look at countless myths and legends, dragons can speak fluently in a multitude of languages. If you want an example, I believe on of the Knights of the Round Table fought a dragon that spoke to him.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 pm 
Matrix Operator

Current research says it said something like:

"Hello, breakfast." :lol:

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Need help about Dragons, Could dragons talk?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 am 
The Endless Prophet

I think the bible (arguably) uses language a bit too symbolically a bit too often for you to use it as a reliable source as far as the physiology of creatures go, but you could look into some of the other older texts that are out there, such as much of the stuff in Asia or any accounts written during medieval times.

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 am 
Cererean Princess

Talk? No. Communicate? Yes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
I personally believe they would use latin one of the most ancient languages known to mortals

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 am 
Matrix Operator

Latin wasn't widespread until around the AD-BC crossover, when the Roman empire was at its height. The main language before that was Koine Greek, and before that, there was no universal language, except maybe Babylonian.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
OK then the most ancient universal language there is but [u][b]today[/b][/u] they would use latin for the fact that it is slightly understood more then any other ancient language

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36 am 
Matrix Operator

True, that would probably be the result of Latin being the basis for most of the western european languages i.e., English, spanish, french, italian...

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Well we had this as an early thread in first board. Most of us thought the dragon would have a language of its own making. And the different hot spots of the creatures around the world would have either different dialects or languages of their own.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:20 am 
Cererean Princess

What sort of methods would Dragons be likely to use for communication? Drawing, speaking, etc...

We really need to improve our interpretation of language. Currently most humans are stuck with two: speaking (the primary), and body language (the secondary). I don't bother using the second, because it is way too unreliable.

Offline Profile