Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm

Post subject: How to kill a dragon
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:00 pm 
Matrix Operator

Hi there.

Some of you may remember me from a while back. Due to personal problems (see post in Eternal Twilight) I can't be on for a while, and I have no idea when I can come back.
Anyhow, I can check this thread in a week, and I need the above question answered for the novel I may have mentioned in passing.

The scene: The elf warrior Arla and the frost dragon Liandarae are battling a dark dragon, and I can't figure out how Arla kills it. Liandarae has been hit by the dark dragon's lightning attack, and is on the verge of collapse.

Arla's inventory: pouch of powdered elven biotoxin, three throwing knives, two katanas, a ball of string, and a flask of water. Elves in my novel cannot use magic, but they are stronger and faster than humans.

Dark dragon's defenses: Near-inpenetrable scales covering everywhere except for inside mouth, eye, armpit, and underside of feet. The human warrior Merik already killed a different dragon through the eye, so this dragon is keeping its head away from Arla. The dragon can also shoot lightning and plumes of fire.

I've kind of written myself into a corner, so please help! I'll be back in a week, and whoever gives the best answer will be emailed a copy of my novel in text format as a prize.

Thank you!
Falconer

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
finally something fun hope it is ok if i post multiple solutions

1) Arla stabs holes in the dragons wings and then it falls off a cliff (eh)
2) The frost dragon freezes the dark dragons wings and then faints after wards. Then arla runs forward dodging attack as they are spewed withthe dragon's flight removed it should be no harder then fighting an overly large armored mage that is stuck to the ground give him a painful wound by cutting off his wings and then she should go for the neck since that is where the scales are the weakest

PS both of these stategies should have alot more dodgeing and blocking by both Arla and the dragon maybe even a double handed tacktick or two i was just giving you ideas to build apon

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:33 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
deadly double post

ok this site does not recognize a period as part of the YIM so hear is my username to email me if i win
Dragon.king08

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:30 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Hey Falconer!!!!
Well, I think the Frost dargons going to have to help and dio the most. I like Dragonmasters idea of the frost freezing the dark dragons wings. But how about the frost does a really powerful ice attack, like a last resort of its energy, and it freezes the dark dragons head, and its mouth temperarily, then the elf could try to jump on it and stab it somewhere effective. Or perhaps another character turns up and helps, or maybe a new charcter?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:11 am 
Cererean Princess

Use the throwing knives to force the dark dragon into a position where it has to move in order not to gt killed? Then when it's in a vunerable position use the katanas to wound it and insert biotoxin?

If Arla can somehow wound it, that's all that's needed. Then Arla just has to get some biotoxin in.

Can the Biotoxin be mixed with water? If it can then:

Mix the Biotoxin with water.
Coat the Katanas and throwing Knives.
Use the throwing knives to force it into a postion with a vunerable area exposed.
Stab with the Katana.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:58 pm 
Matrix Operator

The biotoxin can be mixed with water, I probably should have mentioned that.

Dragonrider, your solution looks best so far. I'll give it another week, then pick the best solution.

:P

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

I would hate to say it, but it sounds like you have to use Deus Ex Machina. Or in other words "God on a machine." This is bringing in a hopefully believable action by something. Bring something in to distract the dragon, back write to bring in another character in to help him at this time, or something like that.

I like the bring in another fighter idea (it is use a lot), just back write somewhere to where you have befriended an archer of some type, and have them show up to fire an arrow to blind the dragon or whatever and let the main character kill it off. And just have the archer say they felt the main character would need help so he started to track him down, and just showed up at the right time.

Or you can have another dragon show up, and the dark dragon decides to fight the greater danger. Have it either die or get damaged enough for the fight to end. Then you have the problem of another dragon to deal with.

Or you can back write and give you a weapon or item to kill the thing.

It is a hacky way to take care of things but it is for the best. But hey it is a book, and it is not set in stone what is going on.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:42 pm 
Matrix Operator

Dragonrider and vampirehunter42 share the prize. Thank's for helping out, guys! :D

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:20 pm 
Legendary Warrior

vampirehunter42 wrote:
I like the bring in another fighter idea (it is use a lot), just back write somewhere to where you have befriended an archer of some type, and have them show up to fire an arrow to blind the dragon or whatever and let the main character kill it off. And just have the archer say they felt the main character would need help so he started to track him down, and just showed up at the right time.

That right there would seem to be your best option simply because tag teams can almost take down anything. Almost. Plus the archer had the element of surprise which, in the case of fighting anything larger than you, is ideal.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 pm 
Matrix Operator

I was able to return here briefly, to correct a mistake. It turns out the file format the document is in is too old, so I'll have to mail physical copies.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How to kill a dragon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 am 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

how about you put the powder on the knife and stick it in the dark dragons heart? could that work?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How to kill a dragon
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:34 am 
Matrix Operator

Okaaaay…. Sharp learning curve here…

1: I already finished writing that part almost a month ago.
2: I did put that the dragon was almost invulnerable save in a few spots, none of which were near the heart.
3: This is a dead topic. You can tell by checking the date on the last post- topics over 3 months old are usually considered dead.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile