Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Post subject: Is necroing threads a bad thing?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:01 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Is resurrecting old threads really that bad? Why do we keep the old threads if no one are to touch them?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Is necroing threads a bad thing?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:07 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i don't bring back old threads because the rules say not to.

somebody mentioned that it's a "different period" of the board, and that makes some sense, i guess. the opinions expressed in them might be different than today. of course, those people could just post again and update that information. i don't think it's really that bad, bringing back old threads that could still be interesting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm 
Cererean Princess

I think it's mainly to keep the posting fresh, to prevent old threads from swamping the board every few months. When there's no new posts to swamp, though...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:28 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

As it is now, anything past page 1 is ancient history that almost feels like another age (yes it was me who said such posts are from a different period). But a topics never dies unless it is solely about the person who posted it."Are you left handed" would be a canonical example of a topic that will never get old. Posting a new thread to ask the same question would be redundant if there already is such a thread.

In regard to old threads there are two kinds of people: those who was there when it was created, and remember the people that replied to it and those who didn't. For the first group thread necroingis nothing but a refreshing memory. For the other group however it is not.

Written on my phone, I will continue soon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I just noticed something: there's enough new threads that most of the first page is no longer necro.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Um, the bottom thread in the general section is from 2011. And the stats for who is making threads in the general section looks like this:
Code:
Sivert3....11
Drakel......2
asdf........2
DragonRider.2
Dragon444...2
FDI.........1
Wardonis....1
Ex..........1
alondor.....1

And who may the guy at the top be? ME! Toping it with a factor of 5. ARRRRGH, I'm ANGRY AND I'LL EAT YOU ALL! :wizard:

Ridicules angry rant aside. For the people who was not present when a necroed thread was made, the whole thing is much different. It brings with it loads of people that they've never heard of, that may no longer be active on the board, and long discussions they never had a chance to be a part of before the end with just appeared.

I think the main problem with old threads is that it's difficult to see when they were posted and how they progressed over time. The default style on this board has a small Posted: stamp in the lower right on the individual posts, but gives no indication of the actual age. Instead you have to do complicated date calculations just to figure out how old a post is. In addition, you have to continue with the date math to be able to understand how a thread progressed. Why can't there be a age in days, months, and years since the post was posted until today. And another one with the time difference between the posts as they where posted? It would make following old topics much simpler.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:03 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I didn't say ALL of them were in range, just MOST. There are only eight on the first page before August, and even less before this year.
Gods, I feel like I'm talking to a moderator.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Oh, right. But I'm not talking like a moderator. I was angry. Your comment however is starting to get off topic. Okay, now I do talk like a moderator. I'm really just after your opinions. Which might at times be frustrating.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:46 am 
Cererean Princess

Not on a dead (NO! In coldsleep, not dead.) forum.

Offline Profile