Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

Post subject: Project Wikify
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:45 pm 
Cererean Princess

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but this site actually has a wiki. Which has about 4 articles. One of which is the main page, and another which is a template page.

Is anyone else interested in rectifying this? Good. I thought we could collect a list of threads to wikify, and then get to work...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Project Wikify
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:21 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

what things would we put into a wiki here?

depending on what you have in mind, i might have some ideas.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:06 am 
Cererean Princess

I was thinking about the aspects of Dragon biology we've discussed here, mainly. Maybe also some artworks and RPs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:30 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

@DragonRider: I'm fully aware of the wiki. It was requested by you long ago. Since then it has been mostly dormant which has resulted in Tempest locking it down. It appears that creations of new users has been disabled, I don't have a user on the wiki so I don't know whether modifications to pages has been disabled as well.

The only real problem with it is aptly pointed out by vamp
vampirehunter42 wrote:
The deal is "we" are the ones who will have to make it ...

The other problem is that information about dragons fall into two categories: pure speculation and cultural references. There has been no proof of the existence of dragons to date, therefor all talk about its form, habits, traits, abilities and preferences is pure speculation. The cultural references is quite substantial however and most cultures has references some kind of dragon.

I don't have anything against speculation. I particularly enjoyed reading the Advance Dragon Description by Tempest. I do think that a wiki based upon giving speculative information regarding dragons, and how they may work is an interesting one. We could also make a history of the dragon community. Provide a directory of reference to dragons in fictional works. Or a map of the current dragon community. It's hard to find what sites are out there, what resources are present.

In pretty much all of these there is a tremendous amount of work required to make something good out of it. I'm not trying to discourage work on the wiki, but for this to surmount to anything at all I think we need someone to take up the lead. To work on it for several hours a week, not just one or two weeks, but every week. For a long time. I currently don't want to take such a position. But that is what I think we need.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:51 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

@sivert3: about new user creation... itsnot just the wiki that has that problem. Several of my friends who i reccomended this site to have tried registering for the message board... and failed. The activation email isnt sending, and i have no clue why. Thats why we have no new members.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:44 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

asdf: That's strange. I just tried registering a new user and I got an activation email. Mails from dragnix.net has a tendency for ending up in the spam folder. Have they tried looking in the spam folder? Gmail puts topic reply notifications from this board in the spam folder unless you make a filter that specifically requests the mails to not end up in the spam folder.

But now we are drifting quite a bit off topic. If you experience more trouble registering or using the site, please start a new thread in the Feedbacks section.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

What will happen with this? I'd really like for this project to succeed. What's your opinion DragonRider?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:02 pm 
Cererean Princess

I don't no yet. If the wiki is locked for new members, I don't know quite what we can do.

I was thinking we could start by compiling a list of threads of the (informed) speculation we've had about issues such as dragon size, origin, fire etc, and then put it into a form that will work on the wiki.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:39 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Then do it! What's preventing you? It's been 2 weeks, and we have heard nothing. Just don't think we means that others will do all the work for you. A common pitfall in managing is that if something is everyones responsibility, then no one is obliged to do anything about it.

We will sort out the wiki, just send Tempest an e-mail and he'll figure something out. But before that, you kind of need content to fill the wiki with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:05 pm 
Cererean Princess

Indeed. Tomorrow, I'll start rooting through the old threads. There's bound to be something interesting in there.

I'll also properly figure out how wikis work. I've never really paid much attention before.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm 
Cererean Princess

Okay, I've logged on to the wiki for the first time in ages, and it's letting me edit it. Now, to actually start building it up...

I'm sure we had a load more meaty threads though. Maybe they're all buried.

I'm thinking of, for starters, a page on the origin of Dragons as an idea. That is, where humans first got the idea from. In fact, I'll go start a new thread in Dragon Discussions.

Offline Profile