Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 am

Post subject: Willow on Disney+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:26 pm 
Cererean Princess

Don't know if anyone is still here, but...

Anyone else seen the new Willow series? I really enjoyed it, especially the last two episodes (it's one of those series that gets better as it goes on -- episode seven is consisdered the best out of the eight I think, and IMO it's not just because of the montage). Good fun. A few reviewers have badmouthed it because it's not reminiscent enough of the England of Henry VII (they have denim) and because of the music (it's not sweeping orchestral stuff, they closed the last episode with Dire Straits' Money For Nothing); to me, this just makes it even better (imagine what they'll be like when they discover sub-rRman Britain didn't have plate armour and knightly orders...). One guy even complained that the characters "don't speak like teenagers", despite the fact that they're all adults and according to word of producer Elora is in her twenties.

My mother wasn't impressed by one of the romances :P Too sapphic for her. Princess Kit is incredibly male coded IMO, not just in her sexuality. Basically a female himbo. If she was male she would perhaps draw complaints for being too stereotypical (young man seeking glory in battle, what?). She even drops a m'lady at one point when helping Elora.

So, I enjoyed it. True to form, and as predicted, I had a dream where I was Elora Danan. Happens with every bloody magical queen I see or read about. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something (yes, yes, awaken your psychic powers my queen...).

Offline Profile