Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Post subject: Brainstorm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I'll admit begging people to post/visit/reply more often or stating the obious is not going to help anyone. And as long as nothing happens, no one will be interested either. Thus we should do somthing. Wardonis' idea of a realtime D&D 3.5 is great. Which gives me the idea of a Minecraft RP. I'll explore the various plugins for supporting RP's in bukkit and report back.
(Just about hafway filling a blackboard with a drawing of a dragon, so expect something from me in the artistic section too)
Also, could someone please drag me innto an RP, I apparantly always find some reason not to do it myself.

I've got 2 ideas for the comunity. And I'll probably come up with more.
(But first I'll have to finish the drawing)

Use our wiki!
Yes there is a wiki.dragnix.net site, thou it is lacking YOUR content. I suggest we create a topic/subforum for wiki planning and get some content creation going.

A usefull tips:
Use the "notify me when a reply is posted" check to get an email when replies are made. Chances are you're propably checking your email more often than dragnix.net (there is an option in "UPC->Board Preference->Edit posting defaults" to make this the default)

Have an idea for the comunity? Post it!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Brainstorm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:13 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

Quote:
you're propably checking your email more often than dragnix.net

Interestingly this doesn't ring true for me. I check this more often.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Marik wrote:
Quote:
you're propably checking your email more often than dragnix.net

Interestingly this doesn't ring true for me. I check this more often.

Same! :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:46 pm 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
ya me too i check dragnix 3-7 times a day email 2-3 a day.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:08 am 
G.E.E.K.

I check all my sites about evenly. I have a general routine, with this place first on the list.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

There is a (apparantly hidden) meaning with this thread. And it's not bumping your post count. I intendet to shout out my honest opinoin and let people suggest things that we could do to make the stuff that goes on here more interesting for everyone. The topic name and the last line of my post shuld have made that abundantly clear. Instead the 4 most active mebers ranted on an assumption I made.

I consider posting replies that does not add to the thread a bad practice. Setting up a service that would send me an SMS every time someone posted something on the board does not change the fact that the other members does not have such a service. Nor will it be contributing to the thread to rant about having such a service.

Again, if you have and idea for the comunity, Post it!
(And not some random fact that does not contribute to this thread)

Also Wardonis: checking the board 3-7 times a day implies that you have checked the board about 500-1000 times this year, but you have only postede 75 posts this year. (Broke my own rule, dammit)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:05 am 
G.E.E.K.

Ok, pretty much every idea people have had has been used. I actuall have a permanent link to this place in my sig at pretty much all other forums I visit. I have also actively advertised this place on a couple other sites and to my friends. Only 2 people joined, neither stayed (Amithyst Stone and Zerince/DragonBullet).
And lastly, I'd get in touch with some of the other 'Legends' if I knew how to.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 am 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
Wow Silv, you really hate trolling huh? I don't know that a minecraft RP would work. Most of the RPing that takes place here is literary. And ya I think that number makes sense. I chsck it on my phone if i have a free min usually.

While I don't think an actual minecraft RP wont work, thats not to say it wouldn't have its place. Its awsome to use to creat worlds and enviroments which is great not only for DnD but also for the style this forum has made its staple.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

Quote:
Instead the 4 most active mebers ranted on an assumption I made.

Ok, none of us ranted.

Quote:
Also Wardonis: checking the board 3-7 times a day implies that you have checked the board about 500-1000 times this year, but you have only postede 75 posts this year. (Broke my own rule, dammit)

Do you post every time you check the board? I know I don't.

Not to sound snippy, you understand. As has been mentioned most ideas have been rehashed a hundred times or more in the time I've been here. Personally I see little point in the Wiki as I don't think we have much to say on it. It's not like Dragons have no other sites dedicated to them, and this forum has long been more about meeting up and RPing than dragons anyway.

One thing I would be interested to see, though it would take some effort, would be to publish some of the finished RPs on a blog or something similar. We could write up the stories properly and release them and as a sideline advertise that this site is the source of said stories.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 pm 
G.E.E.K.

So are you volunteering to read through all the RPs to find which actually reached a proper conclusion, then try to track down all the people who participated in said RP so you can get their permission to use their characters' name and likeness (intelectual property laws...)?
It's a great idea, but it has that 1 major flaw. Have you seen the sheer # of RPs in this place?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 am 
Matrix Operator

What if intellectual property laws were disregarded? Since no money is being made off of this, I don't think anyone will care.

Also, quick way to tell if an RP reached a finalized end is post count. If it reached over 30 pages, odds are it's close to done.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 am 
G.E.E.K.

Over 30 pages, huh? That narrows it down to Exx's Tavern and Eternal Twilight. 1 of those has no end, and won't until it's creator is confirmed to be dead, and even then the admins and mods won't touch it. (Yes, Exx... Your Tavern is that important to this place. 56 pages is no easy task, and that alone makes you a Legend.)
If you expand your search to any RP over 20 pages, you just went from 2 to 4.
I haven't bothered checking the "High Council" site (the old forums), so there's probably a few there as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

@Dragon444: You could send them a pm. If they still got the email account they registered to the site with, they'll recieve an email notification.

@Marik: What about using the wiki for publishing polished RPs?

Wardonis wrote:
And ya I think that number makes sense. I [check] it on my phone if i have a free min usually.

You actually do that? Such dedication is far beond me.

There are 75 RP in the archive with an average of 100 posts each. I don't think we have to write about all of them at once. Nor does that sound like an insurmountable amount of work. As for the copyright, the original author probably haves it, unless explicitly waiverd in the Terms of Service. As Falconer stated it probably wont be a problem.

Using the vanilla Minecraft environment as a RP is no god. Appart from making a shelter and creating a nether portal there is not much to do that does not resemble "make [n] something". However if one created an elabroate world it should be possible to make a meaningfull RP.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:53 pm 
G.E.E.K.

As to checking this place by phone... It's the only method I have for checking. If I lose cell service, I lose my access to all my sites.
We can use the wiki for putting up the polished RPs, but the wiki is even less known then the forums. Such an act would be great for getting them polished before posting them elsewhere.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:17 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

@Dragon444: I did say it would be a lot of work. But it is probably the most significant output of this site to date. Also, does anyone go back and read old RPs? I don't much though I might in aid of writing them up. I would volunteer, though time constraints mean I couldn't do the entire lot myself and it would certainly be a slow process. Intellectual property rights do not apply in these circumstances. The author has already published it on the internet and restructuring it on another part of (or linked) the site is a negligible use. As falconer says, as long as credit is given and no profit is made, they have no claim at all.

@Sivert3: Yeah the wiki might be useful for communal editing and drafting etc. Though I still think we should use a blog/uneditable site for the final versions.
Actually that's a cool idea in itself. Use the wiki to write communal stories/poems etc, as well as/instead of RPs and then publish it to a blog afterwards. You make it members only editable and then only allow people who have more than say 20 posts on this site to become members to stop griefers. Again it might take a bit of work to set up etc. but I would be more than happy to shoulder some responsibility for it.

It would certainly help motivate me to write more and I'd love to see some other people's non-RP writing. We could sort of revamp this place as a writer/artist forum which I think most of us are anyway to some extent, and the Dragon Discussions forum is very rarely used to be honest is it?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:22 pm 
G.E.E.K.

Dragon Discussions used to be the focal point of this site, before the Golden Age crashed.
It was followed immediately by the RPs, then General Discussions pulled 3rd (if I remember correctly).

As to writers/artists, most of us are. I myself am a poet (magician-infinity.deviantart.com). I don't try writing stories if they aren't in metre and rhyme, or as an RP.

We could use the wiki for polishing, but dragnix also has 3 or 4 arts sections. And at least 1 spin-off forum.

We could use something like a blog, but then we'd have to advertise that, which probably won't be much easier than advertising the forums themselves.
If Tempest were around, I'd ask him to finish the Dragnix.net home page. It permanently says it's a work in progress or something along those lines. If we could get that done, it would really help this place.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:10 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

The artistical section (http://www.dragnix.net/Artistic_Section/) is sort of a mini comunity of its own. There should have been some sort of connection with this forum instead of beeing a completly sepparated site. Same goes for the wiki. I know setting up shuch a connection can be both difficoult and tricky but I still would have liked to see such a connection made.

@Marik: Greifers is not a problem on the wiki currently (apart from that "buy term papers" guy's single edit). But it can quickly become a problem, as I've seen sites that have been spamed to oblivion. When it comes to the Dragon Discussion forum the problem is that it always ends up in "It depends on what dragon you speak of" type of discussion.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:09 pm 
Cererean Princess

Well, yes, because some people believe in magic while others don't, and that sets limitations on the size and shape of Dragons... :lol:

Quote:
Over 30 pages, huh? That narrows it down to Exx's Tavern and Eternal Twilight.

Hey, Eternal Twilight is supposed to be a film, play, or musical. 8) Just so I can have an audition series called "How do you solve a problem like Mariah"...

Offline Profile