Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Post subject: DreamWorks Dragon movie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Really why has this not been posted yet? Or did I miss it again.

Link

EDIT:

Ok, yall' are going to love this movie. I may not look at cool as Avatar, but it looks like it will be a great movie.

Main site

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: DreamWorks Dragon movie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 pm 
Solitary Serpent

I'm planning on seeing it sometime this week. I heard about it last year and had been counting down the days til it opened. I'm with you, I'm surprised something hasn't been said about it before.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:48 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
I'm surprised you guys are supporting the movie. It looks insulting to dragons and dragon fans everywhere

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm 
Solitary Serpent

What makes you say that?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to. Probably will when it hits DVD.

I hear the flight sequences are fantastic.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:58 pm 
Dragon God of Drageloc

(yes I'm still alive)

Yah.. I'm going to see it on big screen. However I agree 100% with Alondor though. The movie looks insulting to the very idea of dragons.

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm 
Solitary Serpent

And I still ask "why?".

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:39 pm 

Ok, what?

This movie is about a bunch of young people learning that dragons are not all evil and need to be killed. And even learn to build saddles for them and ride them. And you people are calling it bad?

About every 10th post in the questions area is saying something about how dragons are good and want to help up and/or the want to ride on them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:34 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
The supporters of the movie, iamwilling to bet are the ones who support the animal level intelligence of dragons. Yes the movie shows dragos as friendly and i truely hope that idea spreads through out our world. However their is the problem that the movie also shows dragons as mere animals and not creatures equal to us in intelligence. That is my main problem withthe movie. However when is the movie going to be on the screen because i am going to give it a chance.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:44 pm 

So, when you look at the trees do you see the forest?

Really, this is sad. I thought I was bad at nit-picking movies. At last there is a movie with most of what the majority of the board would like to see. And yall are calling it a horrible movie due to the dragons having "animal level" intelligence.

And yes, I do see dragons as having "animal level" intelligence. But I guess my outlook on what that means is a lot higher than you see it. Note, animals are not as stupid as you think they are.

Though I will have to admit, I'll have to wait till this hits DVD. This is a kid's movie, and a single 32 yearold man would just not look right going to it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
I'll have to agree with vamp on this besides what is "animal intelligence" exactly besides what we "humans" dub any intelligence not human you'd be surprised how intelligent a raven is, I've heard of ravens that help gardeners pull weeds in return for food, for a little "protection money" (ie some bread thrown out) a raven mafia protects someones trash from all the birds in the neighborhood and leave it alone as well, teaming up with wolves to track down prey and calling the wolves to kill it and then eating alongside the wolves, If nothing else you shouldn't call something with "animal intelligence" as stupid or demeaning because "animals" can be surprisingly smart

from what i have seen of the commercials of that movie in no way does it make me think of a dull unthinking beast with absolutely no intelligence (that would be insulting to dragons) in fact it makes me think the opposite
I mean for something to be intelligent it doesn't need to be able to speak you know

"If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows."

-Rev.Henry Ward Beecher mid 1800's ("Bird Brains")

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 pm 
Dragon God of Drageloc

with the intelligence you have today Imagine having a mouse sized humanoid climb on your back and put a saddle on your neck( smallest place on a human body that would actually be able to do such) screaming "ONWARD! " While kicking you on your neck's sides. now imagine a hundred "free" people without that happening to them around you noticing you are that "mouse’s" ride, they will more than likely laugh at you. SOOO, in conclusion, you will most likely feel humiliated, disgraced, and insulted. You might even kill that humanoid for even daring to attempt to do such on you. That would most likely be what a dragon would feel if you jump on its back.

I am really sorry, I hit edit other than quote and didn't release till too late.

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 am 

This movie looks a bit pants to be honest. Kids'll love it, but it's not going to be that Dragon movie that we all crave.
As for the argument of dragon intelligence, hate to break it, but Dragons don't exist so the point is moot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 am 

Quote:
with the intelligence you have today Imagine having a mouse sized humanoid climb on your back and put a saddle on your neck( smallest place on a human body that would actually be able to do such) screaming "ONWARD! " While kicking you on your neck's sides. now imagine a hundred "free" people without that happening to them around you noticing you are that "mouse’s" ride, they will more than likely laugh at you. SOOO, in conclusion, you will most likely feel humiliated, disgraced, and insulted. You might even kill that humanoid for even daring to attempt to do such on you. That would most likely be what a dragon would feel if you jump on its back.

I have a nephew, so yea I would not mind. I feel sorry for your kids.

That is the best argument though. A dragon is only as smart as the creator of the story makes it.

And if dragons are so smart where is their Ipods. But really, in most myths I have read dragons are not much smarter than the humans of the time. And if you think about it, much less advanced than the humans of the time. Most (and yes some don’t) dragons live in caves and other natural hollows. So think how advanced a caveman is, and put a dragon about that level.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:18 am 
Solitary Serpent

I went to see the movie tonight. And in no way did the movie portray dragons as dumb. In fact, the dragons outsmarted the Vikings many times in the movie. As for the whole "how would you feel about somebody riding on your back", you just need to watch the movie to figure that part out. The boy didn't simply just decide to harness the dragon and jump on it like a cowboy on a wild bronco. There was a reason for it. It was more of a mutual agreement, a kind of a symbiotic relationship (i'm not going into details because that would spoil part of the movie). You guys need to remember that the trailers very rarely show the vital parts of the story. If they did, there would be no point in going to see the movie. So I suggest that you just hush up with all your whining for now and take the time out of your busy schedule to go see the movie. AFTER you've seen it, you can whine all you want, but don't start judging things that you have no idea about.
By the way, I think it's a wonderful movie. Two thumbs up. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. And Jish, the flight scenes are pretty freakin' awesome.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 pm 

Sadly my nephew lives in another state. So I am still a bit too old to watch this movie on my own. I guess I'll read the spoiler plot line on wiki.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:26 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

vampirehunter42 wrote:
But really, in most myths I have read dragons are not much smarter than the humans of the time. And if you think about it, much less advanced than the humans of the time. Most (and yes some don’t) dragons live in caves and other natural hollows. So think how advanced a caveman is, and put a dragon about that level.

I know this is off the topic of movie discussion but vamps statement bothered me so here I go.

Of course the myths portray dragons as having less intelligence than the humans of that time. If you were a glory seeking knight, which would you say? "I just slayed a creature that was civilized and had weapons" or "I just killed this monstrosity of a lizard who tried to kill me and has been roasting our village" (note my position is the dragons were justified on the village roasts even if it can be shot down with eye for an eye).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 pm 

Ok you win dragons are highly intelligent. I have yet to here the "because the myths and ledges say they are not smart that means they are smart" defense. Yea, we don’t need any evidence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:29 pm 
Solitary Serpent

Geez, alondor, chill! This whole argument is stupid. You can't really prove whether or not dragons are intelligent. Have you ever met a dragon? Do you have video proof of it carrying on a comprehensible conversation with you? I doubt it. Why? Because they are mythical beasts! And until such evidence shows up to prove otherwise, people are free to speculate on a dragon's intelligience, size, color, shape, etc. You can neither prove or disprove that which is labeled as "fiction".

And I still say everybody should see the movie.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:10 pm 

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
I would love to see it i just probably won't for another year or two due to my ineffectualness at seeing new movies

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:38 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Ersska how am i not being chillmy post was written in my cool and collected mind, though it might have had a bit more passion than normal. Either way backto the topic at hand, my mind has changed i will see it for the reason that it is wrong not to give it a chance

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 pm 
Solitary Serpent

It's just an expession. I didn't really mean you were going over the top.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

I must admit, it's an interesting movie. The story isn't something groundbreaking; the concept of an enemy not really being your enemy has been used before but the movie remains original in its approach toward the "problem". Of course, the quality of the animation is quite amazing. Though, personally, I would have preferred to have less caricaturesque dragons (for example, Toothless the Night Fury dragon looks like a dragon with normal proportions and a lot of care seems to have been placed on making him a believable flying creature... as for the other dragons, noticeably less so on both accounts). But it's intended to be a cartoon geared toward people who don't have my age so, I won't nitpick too much about this.

As Ersska said, there is a reason why Hiccup (the main character) ride Toothless. Dragons are not just horse-like beast (in purpose) found in the wild and tamed to make humans' lives better. The story is surprisingly elaborated (for a movie) on that point. But to be honest, they slightly trivialize Hiccup-Toothless special relationship later on in the movie while making it stronger at the same time. Said like this, it doesn't make much sense but if you see the ending, you will understand.

So in the end, Dreamwork has done something remarkable with this movie. As a preliminary review, I would give this movie 7.5 stars out of 10 (note that on my scale 5/10 is considered average and 10/10 is simply out of reach).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 pm 
Solitary Serpent

I agree, Tempest. I was disappointed in the obvious lack of work that went into making the other dragons as well. They were just typical dragons. Toothless was very noticeably favorited in the movie. He was able to show a wider range of emotions that none of the other dragons could even dream about showing. And in my opinion, Toothless looks and acts a little too much like Stitch (from Lilo & Stitch). I couldn't help thinking that throughout the movie. That's my biggest complaint about the movie.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:00 am 
G.E.E.K.

I just saw it. The movie was great for something designed for a child.
I agree with Ersska here, Toothless did seem alot like Stitch.
As to the other dragons, the designs for them weren't great. Toothless was amazing, though.
And, lastly, the names for the "dragon species" and the "classifications" for the dragons, they seemed unoriginal and like they had little thought behind them.

Of course, I admit, it is a children's movie, so of course certain liberties were taken to attract a younger audience. So I guess I shouldn't be so strict...

Offline Profile