Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:16 pm

Post subject: why are some people so agressive about 'necromany'?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 am 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

if some one posted in a forum of mine that was old i wouldnt mind so why are people harassing me?
the only one that wasn't agressive was blue tiger

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: why are some people so agressive about 'necromany'?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:00 pm 
Matrix Operator

Mmmm… well that’s an interesting question. Here’s how I see it:

1: Tempest said no. It’s his site, so his rules.

2: We like to encourage variety, and the discussion of new topics. Old ones start to get monotonous after a while. Also, forum members often have only a limited time per day to check responses, post new stuff, etc. and often rely on the forum icon indicators to know when a forum (ex: Artworks) has had a new post. Most times, a topic can only go for so long before it becomes a waste of people’s time.

3: It’s “necromancy”, not “necromany”. Necromany is when there are a lot of dead threads. :P

4: The only reason Blue Tiger doesn’t come off as aggressive is that she’s too nice.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:57 pm 
G.E.E.K.

Another reason that I can see is this:

Let's say everyone on the forum dug up old topics to post in as well as posted new ones. How long do you think people would stay here if said event were to happen? The forums would be flooded with all sorts of ancient discussions and finding the new stuff would be nigh on impossible!
I'm sure that this is one reason that Tempest banned "necromancy" here, and why I and my friends banned it on our forums.

The only time the above reason wouldn't apply is if a forum was just created and practically void of life and posts. In such a case, the time limit for "necromancy" changes from a few months to a few years.
On the exact opposite end of the spectrum. There is the "major" forums (such as Gaia Online (around a million members)) that have so many new post hourly that reading them all and keeping up to date is a physical impossibility. You post something new, and within 10 minutes it's on the third page or further back. Necromancy here would probably be within weeks, rather than months. (But the admins of Gaia don't really care about necromancy, which annoys me.)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:13 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

My main problem is the most of the posts are not adding anything to the thread. If you see a thread with a subject that you think you can add to. And it the last post was over 5 months ago. You can start a new post on the subject. Just explain your ideas fully giving the rest of us an idea on what your thoughts are.

But if you can only think of 2 or less sentences to post, it may not be helpful to post in that thread.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 am 
Wandering Dragon

Falconer wrote:

4: The only reason Blue Tiger doesn’t come off as aggressive is that she’s too nice.

Oh Im too nice am I Falconer? :P Well, thats a nice compliment anyway. :D What I did was PM dr drako dragon and explain clearly what Necromancy is. I have noticed that when a new person joins and starts doing so, we just tell them off and not give a reason why and most of the time they dont know what they are doing wrong.
But we have reached an understanding now, and if any new people join, we should direct them here or tell them immediatley what not to do....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:13 am 
Matrix Operator

A good point. 42, can you sticky this thread?

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile