Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:47 pm

Post subject: Live Earth!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:35 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
How many of those assembled are going to participate on 07/07/07?

Isn't it awesome how the entire planet can be a part in saving ourselves all from a program on the same exact day?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 am 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

double post

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:19 am 

For everyone who didn't know what this was, and didn't feel like looking it up.

Quote:
Live Earth is the name for a series of concerts of pop and rock music featuring various artists planned to take place on Saturday July 7, 2007 to give cause to global warming. The concerts have the intent of bringing together more than 150 of the world's most popular music acts and drawing a worldwide audience of 2 billion people, making it one of the largest global events in history. The umbrella organization for the event is a new global movement under the name Save Our Selves (SOS).

The plans for the Live Earth concerts were announced at a media event in Los Angeles on February 15, 2007 by the former Vice President of the United States Al Gore and other activist celebrities. The inspiration for promoting the cause using the vehicle of benefit concerts comes from many similar events over the past 25 years including the 1985 Live Aid concerts and the 2005 Live 8 concerts and it will be the longest show ever to be recorded in the world records.

Projected temperature increase for a range of greenhouse gas stabilization scenarios (the coloured bands). The black line indicates 'best estimates'; the red and the blue lines the likely limits. From the work of the IPCC, 2007.In addition to raising awareness of global warming, on June 28, 2007, it was revealed that Live Earth is to be the launch event for the Live Earth Call to Action.[3] During the concerts people will be asked to support the following 7-point pledge:

-To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next 2 years that cuts global warming pollution by 90% in developed countries and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to inherit a healthy earth;
-To take personal action to help solve the climate crisis by reducing my own CO2 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become 'carbon neutral;'
-To fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the CO2;
-To work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation;
-To fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal;
-To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests; and,
-To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to solving the climate crisis and building a sustainable, just, and prosperous world for the 21st century.

In subsequent interviews Al Gore indicated that the concerts would mark 'the beginning of a three year campaign worldwide to deliver information about how we solve the climate crisis' and that 'the prospects for every future generation depend on us understanding, hearing and acting upon this information.'

Further information on the issues raised by the concerts are published in The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook, written by environmentalist David Mayer de Rothschild the handbook is the companion book to the Live Earth concert listing 77 tips or skills that people can use to help stop climate change. Profits from the book will be donated to the Alliance for Climate Protection, as will some of the profits from the concerts.

I hope it does some good. And I didn't know some of those bands were still around.

But I don't like this.
Quote:
as will some of the profits from the concerts

I don't like the idea of the word some there. The main problem of fundraisers.

And myself seeing the afterwords of concerts, this may not turn out that well.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:58 am 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
Well I think all the performers are offering their services for free, that's a start at least. And the people who managed to get this all together think they deserve a little bit of the profit. After all, this is the first global event to be aired across the world for a singular cause: to spread the word to save the planet. Right now it isn't so much about the money, but spreading the message. That is what is important, information.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:10 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Jishdefish wrote:
Well I think all the performers are offering their services for free

They better be giving their services for free, it all about protecting the planet not money... odd.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:21 pm 

Well at least this looks better.

Quote:
Tickets will not be required at the Brazilian concert at Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, which was officially announced by Al Gore on Saturday May 12. The concerts will be free of charge, something that only it and the Washington DC venue share. This venue is going to be the biggest venue of all Live Earth concerts, and the estimated audience is 1,000,000 people.

But still only 20% of the ticket price is going to the Alliance for Climate Protection. You can't tell me it is costing 80% of ticket sells to cover the costs of the event. If so they are waisting a lot of recorces and what Matt Helders of Arcitc Monkeys may be right is his quote.

Quote:
Though falsely reported to be performing, Arctic Monkeys refused to play at the Wembley Stadium Live Earth show. Drummer Matt Helders says, "It's a bit patronizing for us 21-year-olds to try to start to change the world, especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for stage lighting. It would be a bit hypocritical."[

The best part is they are fighting with
July 7 - NASA's Dawn spacecraft is scheduled to be launched.
July 7–July 29 - The 2007 Tour de France will take place; the grand départ will be from London.
July 7–July 29 - The Asian Cup 2007 soccer tournament will take place in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam.
And Wimbledon is still going on. Quite frankly when I just went through the tv that was all I could find. (it was cable or internet, internet won.)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:11 pm 
Cererean Princess

I've got a great idea! We'll jet around the world, spew out loads of CO2, use loads for the lighting and instruments, everyone will drive there in their cars. all to get to a concert against CO2.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:17 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Well, making an incision is always needed for major surgery, and that is what we need. Besides, we can't just stand by and do nothing because it would add a little bit to the problem. Getting the message out will help in the long run as we each save much of our power and resources and tell all we know to do the same.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39 am 

I do agree things need to be done. But a "band aid" (pun intended) just is not the best way to do this. Why not make a program showing the facts and the problems showing up from them. Then tell and show the work needed to fix the problems in a point blank way. And stop treating the people of the world like they are a bunch of idiots, which only can learn something if it has a bunch of flashy lights and bells on it.

I would much rather have a point blank review of the problems with all the facts and treat me like I have a mind in my head. So I don't spend half my time thinking "what a bunch of hypocrites."

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:36 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

aww thats so kewl i had not heard about this,
i was to distracted :S on the 7/7/07 i had my engagement party :) would of been a cool date to get married on really lol

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

A "band aid on a bullet hole" doesn't really fit the situation. I like to think of it more like some sort of addiction. First you have to learn that you have an addition, and then start to take the treatments. This is the learning part.

As for people not needing 'flashy lights' that is false in the majority. There are a few people, like you and me, who have a at least a bit of intelligence, while the majority (like those in the United States who elected George W. Bush TWICE!) are NOT intelligent enough to pay attention without the light show and the fireworks.

As for the documentary stuff, I agree. Although it has been explained why this hasn't come to light. People are afraid of the facts, and so the people who would film such a thing think that no one would watch it. Of course this is not true in the least, at the very least I would be interested.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:42 am 
Knowledgable Viking

Please take the time to read this. As with most things I will not let you know what my thoughts are because....well I dont let anyone know what I think so that to others I have no opinion. Whether or not I think its true is of no consequence to you. Also if you wanna know the website please just ask I visit it frequently.

Oh and I dunno how to quote like Vamphunter does.

Climate change hits Mars

Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake.

Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.

Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.

In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planet’s temperature.

Fenton’s team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasa’s Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.

When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

-- -------------------------------------------------------

I would like to add to why the earth is exsperiencing warmer clients, I hope Al Gore reads this! The moon is also retreating from the earth and it controls how fast the earth spins, therefore for every foot it moves away from the earth is a few miliseconds to seconds that the earth slows down in rotation and it also controls our tilt on the axis. It has been proven that long time ago the African deserts were once lush and green and then the earth lost a foot, just a foot of it's tilt and bam deserts! So HELLO people it is going to only get warmer and green house gasses are just a very small part of why. Once a large valcano errupts we will cool back down but until then pull out your summer clothes folks the cool days are over for awhile! Just wait til your kids kids are bitching that they are freezing their butts off!!

rosa, memphis, tennessee

----------------------------------------------------

Whether we have caused climate change or not isn't the point. We don't live in a way that is harmonious with nature. The amount of plastic we use and throw away (old toothbrushes, razors, plastic cups and wrapping take 1000 years to biodegrade and produce toxicity in the process which pollutes our planet and therefore us.) I agree with Green hippies in that mass consumerism and mass degredation of this beautiful planet and our wasteful lifestyles do not help the planet thrive in the slightest. Green hippies woke up a long time ago. Have you?

jo ballard, plymouth, uk

----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't claim to be a science nerd or anything like that, but my theory on this basically revolves around governments in our respective countries trying to hike taxes.

Most scientific reports on climate change are more often than not funded by the government, of course they are going to read in favour of whatever policy they want to follow.

Why have they failed to inform us more regularly of the heating up of Mars and the rest of the solar system? Maybe because it casts doubt on them!!!!!!

All you green hippies wake up and realise its just a natural cycle.

Phil, Liverpool, UK

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:21 pm 
Knowledgable Viking

By Odin's eye! Did I kill this thing off or something? I feel like I shot it right out of the air with a samll post please people talk here.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 am 

No, I think Jishdefish and I got tired of crossing swords on this one.

Offline Profile